Advice on new monitor

tsibosp

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 10, 2014
Hello guys, Im all out for a new monitor to complement my 6600k 4,2GHz and 1080 GPU and I just cannot decide which one to get. My budget is 500 euros tops. I was leaning to Dell 2417DG for having all the right features 1440p, 1ms response time, 144Hz and i found it in my country for 480 euro. Then I realised that the only online games I play that would benefit from 144hz are Dota and Battlefield 1 and I could drop the 144hz and go for something better (IPS) on 75-60hz. I'm clueless.
To summarise: 500 euro budget, main usage will be single player gaming(mostly) and movies.
Thanks in advance !

Solution
Ouch! Yes, that's definitely expensive. Unfortunately, as I am in the US, I can't really offer any suggestions - the prices seem to be notably more in Greece. I've seen some flat-screen 34" LG monitors at 2560x1080 in the upper $300 range, but that's in the US.

Plus, for a monitor that size, I'd personally prefer a curved screen.

Your friend might have a point about going higher resolution when you're at 27" or less, but that's a very subjective thing. Each person's eyes are different - if at all possible, for any monitor you consider, if possible, I would recommend finding a store that has the same (or similar) model on display, to see how it looks in person.

My eyes, after all, might like or dislike things far differently...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you looking at 2560 x 1440?

This is a personal preference, but you might consider ultra-wide-screen monitors, using 21:9 aspect ratio instead of 16:9. That would put you at either a 2560x1080, or a 3440x1440 monitor. The extra FOV for the wider aspect ratio I find to be very pleasant.

I agree with considering a lower refresh rate, and an IPS screen - I've been very happy with mine.

I don't know if such exist in your area within that price range, though. I know the 29-inch and some 34-inch 2560x1080 can be had for under $400 US, but that doesn't help you.

tsibosp

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 10, 2014
Hello, the cheapest ultrawide monitor i can find in my country(Greece) is the LG 34UM88-P and is 100 euros over my budget. Yes I am looking at a
2560 X 1440 mainly but I am open to suggestions, I really do not see any reason to go beyond 27'' even if my budget would allow it which it doesn't on 1440p. One of my friends suggested that I dont have to go for a 1440p monitor since it will be a waste on anything below 27'' anyway but it really seems odd in my mind to go for an Ultrawide 34'' 60fps/1080p monitor on a 1080 GPU, a monitor which I'll keep for at least 4 years. I wanted at least to make the jump on 1440p but from what I've seen my choices are very very limited on a decent 1440p IPS panel on that budget.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ouch! Yes, that's definitely expensive. Unfortunately, as I am in the US, I can't really offer any suggestions - the prices seem to be notably more in Greece. I've seen some flat-screen 34" LG monitors at 2560x1080 in the upper $300 range, but that's in the US.

Plus, for a monitor that size, I'd personally prefer a curved screen.

Your friend might have a point about going higher resolution when you're at 27" or less, but that's a very subjective thing. Each person's eyes are different - if at all possible, for any monitor you consider, if possible, I would recommend finding a store that has the same (or similar) model on display, to see how it looks in person.

My eyes, after all, might like or dislike things far differently than your eyes do.

Solution