Windows 10 only boots after a forced shutdown

ekdave

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
When I power up my Windows 10 PC after a normal shutdown, it gets as far as the Windows logo with the spinning dots, and then a few seconds later the logo/dots disappear and the primary monitor goes to sleep (the secondary monitor stays black, but shows the mouse pointer if I move the mouse around). The boot process effectively is stopped at this point--nothing happens even if I wait a couple hours. The only way to get the machine to boot at this point is to do a forced shutdown after it hangs, by pressing and holding the power button until it shuts off, and then powering it back up. At this point (after the forced shutdown and power-up) it'll boot normally.

It also boots normally if I do a restart from within Windows 10. The boot only fails if the PC was previously shut down normally.

I've checked the event logs and nothing in particular appears to be amiss. I also tried running Windows Startup Repair, but it said it couldn't fix anything (not sure if that meant it couldn't find any problems).

It's a fairly old motherboard (Asus M4A88T-M). It was booting fine from Windows 10 up until a month or two ago. I haven't done any upgrades or configuration changes. Anybody have any ideas what might be going on?

Lutfij

Titan
1| Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

2| Have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?

3| Have you also tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalling your GPU drivers with the latest(last stable) revision?

ekdave

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-M
Ram: 8GB
SSD/HDD: Western Digital 1TB ATA drive
GPU: ATI Radion HD4250 (on the mobo)
PSU: Dell
Chassis: Dell

This is a fairly old machine. There have been no updates published for the bios, mobo, or graphics for a while now.

ekdave

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
... and, the problem came back with the latest feature update (on ~7 Dec 2017). I finally figured out a workaround, anyway--uncheck "Turn on fast startup" in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > System Settings. Now it boots normally. Fast startup was an option I wasn't aware of until now.