Factory reset windows 10

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I'm trying to factory reset my windows 10 computer using recovery option in settings. But every time I try to do so, I get a message saying something like "we were unable to reset your computer at this time". Anybody know what I can do to make it work?

Solution
Maybe this guide is more your style?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
Go in to your BIOS
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first (hd is second)
boot from installer (on the USB drive)
follow the above guide (read it first and make sure you understand it)

when asked for licence, click "I don't have a key" and the install will continue and reactivate once finished

When asked to choose where to install win 10, the installer may have an error about GPT hard disks (this is just for very large drives), delete all the partitions & press next. If get an error, cancel the install and reboot your PC and re-start installation. It should not give an error on the 2nd attempt(most PCs won't need this 2nd...
Why not just do a clean install?
If this is an upgrade, you will need to create the media. You can do this with this tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-QPLwOyyJizAIBI50kZgMyw&tduid=(374a1d331c55fc965a041e243232ae2b)(256380)(2459594)(je6NUbpObpQ-QPLwOyyJizAIBI50kZgMyw)()
You can use this to create a usable USB boot device

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014

Create the media? How? And how do I know which upgrade I have?

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014

I don't have a sub. Where do I get one? What size do I need? So many questions

I don't have a sub either. If you find a good source, let me know. I've been dying to torpedo some of the neighbors.

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014

I have windows 10. That's all I know.

How do I boot into a usb drive?

You put a bootable USB in a USB port. Boot in to the BIOS and select the USB device from your boot menu.

If you can't follow those guides and this is too difficult, consider saving your sanity and taking it to a local shop. They should not charge too much since for someone in IT this is considered easy.

Maybe this guide is more your style?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
Go in to your BIOS
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first (hd is second)
boot from installer (on the USB drive)
follow the above guide (read it first and make sure you understand it)

when asked for licence, click "I don't have a key" and the install will continue and reactivate once finished

When asked to choose where to install win 10, the installer may have an error about GPT hard disks (this is just for very large drives), delete all the partitions & press next. If get an error, cancel the install and reboot your PC and re-start installation. It should not give an error on the 2nd attempt(most PCs won't need this 2nd attempt)

Solution