i have an empty folder in my desktop that i cant delete.

Noobie Drew

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
i downloaded some files from google drive and extracted them in a folder on my desktop, when i tried to delete the folder i couldnt but i could delete the files within
dfeaa4e6d75f4ada79a700508e845537.png

Solution
perhaps try in safe mode? or create another admin user account and (whilst logged out of your main account) use the new admin account to delete this folder using the same instructions as above?

i think the issue is the fact that the folder no longer exists, but still shows .... if you cannot re-create it and then delete it, the only option really left is a windows cleanup/ 3rd party program that gets rid of broken links and folders.

although i really do not suggest you try this method below, it will erradicate almost anything, hence use extreme caution and check for spelling mistakes -

open ms dos (cmd.exe) as admin
type: rd C:\Users\Abc\Desktop\wetw /s

rmdir instead of rd maybe required depending on windows os

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
you have turned your computer off and back on? sometimes widows is a little slow in removing folders that are deleted.

you can goto the folder location in file manager ... if the folder does not exist there, create it. then delete the desktop version, and then delete your created version.

run clean up utility which searches for broken links and dead files ... and removes them.

Noobie Drew

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

i have restarted my pc but i still cant delete it
when i went to the file location in a file manager i could see the folder but i was still unable to delete it
also when i checked the properties i saw this
cf43b7729fb5c49303c3b4039d8ad5f7.png

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
youre not deleting the wetw folder, just the folder inside it called videos?

right click on folder> properties > security > select users (computername) > edit button > allow all > apply. now all users can modify folder. remove read only and now you can create folders and delete folders in that location

Noobie Drew

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

well i want to delete both but i cant and when i tried to change the setting in properties this comes up
f67aee7c18d4689d7b86d8f39aaf00e5.png

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
perhaps try in safe mode? or create another admin user account and (whilst logged out of your main account) use the new admin account to delete this folder using the same instructions as above?

i think the issue is the fact that the folder no longer exists, but still shows .... if you cannot re-create it and then delete it, the only option really left is a windows cleanup/ 3rd party program that gets rid of broken links and folders.

although i really do not suggest you try this method below, it will erradicate almost anything, hence use extreme caution and check for spelling mistakes -

open ms dos (cmd.exe) as admin
type: rd C:\Users\Abc\Desktop\wetw /s

rmdir instead of rd maybe required depending on windows os

Solution

Noobie Drew

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

i used the cmd command and it got rid of it thanks for your help