Failed Ubuntu installation possibly deleted windows

eduniga

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Please help, I was trying to install ubuntu alongside windows 10 on my custom desktop. During installation I chose the install ubuntu alongside windows 10 option. The next option was to select drive and allocate drive space. I chose the C drive were Windows 10 was installed, and distributed the disk space equally for both windows and ubuntu. Later, I pressed continue, it started to process and it gave me a fail message which I can't remember which one. Later, it was late at night so I decided to try installation next day. Next day I booted my pc and windows was gone from the boot manager. This seemed strange as I never got to commence ubuntu installation, I assumed my boot manager was broken. I tried repair my pc option, I tried command prompts that can fix the boot manager that I found searching online, nothing fixed it. I took my pc to a repair shop and they told me my windows partition was deleted. This seemed so strange, how can I have deleted my windows partition if I never fully installed Ubuntu in the first place? I don't have Ubuntu installed on my computer. Did I actually deleted it and I have to reinstall it? What can I do? Please help

Solution
it looks like you chosen the windows partition without noticing for the ubuntu setup.

I never liked putting more than one OS on one drive for errors like these.

If the data you lost is not important , just unallocate all the existing partitions and reinstall Windows again on it.

if the files were important and you want to recover them badly leave that harddisk alone and use another harddisk for windows installation.

later on you can try some utilities to recover files using the other harddisk for software and destination of recovered files.

larryhyman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
If you told it to install in drive c, the first thing it does is reformat the drive in Linux format

The same exact thing happened to me a few years ago..... your drive in now bricked......

Drive isn't bricked.

Sounds like you deleted your Windows partition, even if Ubuntu failed to install it had to partition space before hand thus deleting the data on the disk.

larryhyman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
sorry not bricked but definitely missing the boot partition, wiped out.... (wiped out, is that not the same as being bricked? ) your pc will not work until you reinstall an operating system.......

eduniga

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

But I chose the "install ubuntu alongside Windows 10" option, wouldn't that secure my windows from being deleted?

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
it looks like you chosen the windows partition without noticing for the ubuntu setup.

I never liked putting more than one OS on one drive for errors like these.

If the data you lost is not important , just unallocate all the existing partitions and reinstall Windows again on it.

if the files were important and you want to recover them badly leave that harddisk alone and use another harddisk for windows installation.

later on you can try some utilities to recover files using the other harddisk for software and destination of recovered files.

Solution

eduniga

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

I'll see what I do, thanks a lot