Upgrading from Nvidia GTX 650 to 1050 TI, Power Supply Question

rkomalygos420

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Hey everyone! just to preface I'm a big noob to computers and I have never attempted to upgrade anything before. I recently wanted to upgrade from my current graphics card(Nvidia GTX 650) to a Nvidia GTX 1050 TI. I bought a prebuilt PC on amazon in 2013. (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPZJ5CC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

On the Nvidia website it states that the GTX 650's maximum graphics power is 64 W and the minimum system power requirement is 400 W. That was surprising to find out since I've used this computer for the last 4 years with no issues so far despite the prebuilt power supply being only 280 watts. (My processor is the Intel Core i7-4770 and its TDP is 84 W.)

The 1050 TI lists its specs at 75W maximum graphics card power and minimum system requirement is 300W. The GTX 1050 TI would potentially draw out 11 more watts max compared to my current GTX 650. However, my power supply is under the minimum system requirements of both gpu's(though I haven't encountered any issues on my current card).

Upon upgrading my gpu, is it necessary for me to look into buying a new power supply at all? Would the wattage difference be that big of an issue/Am I missing anything important. Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes your system has a PCIE X16 slot and can run a 1050 Ti.

Some models (a few) have bigger cooling solutions with 2 fans and those need a 6-pin PCIE power connector (although that's there to overclock the card, otherwise, it works with 75W).

Nvidia PSU requirements are estimates because they don't really know what kind of system with what power requirements the user is going to run their card in.

Couldn't find specs for that rig's PSU, I think you need to buy a new PSU a good brand/model.

Something like this would be good. Although it depends on amount you want to spend:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020101-UK-CX450M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFOHS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=41ZF9nXla%2BL&dpPl=1&keywords=Corsair%20CX&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&qid=1509385045&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

A 1050 Ti that does not require a 6 pin connector would use 75W. Add that to your 84W CPU and you're looking at 159W on the 12V output just for those two things. So, assuming your power supply really does put out 280W, which in reality it might not, then you'd need around 14A on the 12V output of that PSU just to meet the bare minimum requirement. Since you always want some headroom, I advise you to take a look at the label on the side of the power supply. Look for the section with the 12V output listed. You want to see a number like "18A" or higher listed.

TRENDING THREADS