VGA to HDMI or VGA to DVI

ThatDuck

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I have a vga monitor which I want to connect to my gtx 950. I have a converter that converts the vga to dvi and one that converts it to hdmi. Which one should I use for best quality? Or will it be no different? Currently I am using the dvi but I feel like I should switch

Solution
I'd stick with DVI to VGA. HDMI also carries audio, so an HDMI to VGA adapter carries with it the risk that your audio will be sent to the HDMI port, where it'll be lost and all you'll get with silence. (You could fix it by selecting the proper audio output device, but why create extra work for yourself.)

Otherwise both do pretty much the same thing, so stick with DVI since you already have it working.
I'd stick with DVI to VGA. HDMI also carries audio, so an HDMI to VGA adapter carries with it the risk that your audio will be sent to the HDMI port, where it'll be lost and all you'll get with silence. (You could fix it by selecting the proper audio output device, but why create extra work for yourself.)

Otherwise both do pretty much the same thing, so stick with DVI since you already have it working.

Solution