CPU & GPU Liquid Cooler Reccs - i7 950, 3.7 Ghz, 8GB GPU

mrdecast

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Hey There,

Im set up on a i7 950, OC'ed to 3.7 Ghz and 16GB memory with a GTX 1070 8GB GPU. Using a Noctua D15 with 2 fans and CPU temp runs at 75c at peak performance.

Would like to push this to 4.0 Ghz but it goes too hot, so any suggestions on liquid coolers?

Also, is it possible to get 1 liquid cooler that cools both the GPU and CPU together?

it's called custom loop.
or at least expandable ones like now EOL EK Predator.
On a positive note, there is a EK Fluid gaming kits
anyway, there is no CLC cooler that will do that much better than NH-D15. you probably will not be able to get 4GHz from this CPU just by changing cooler

mrdecast

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks a lot - I've seen all sorts of info online so I'm not too sure about committing to a liquid cool system - if I'm hitting 75-80c and custom liquid cooler kits from EK are hitting 70-72 under loads, then why to update?

Im just trying to get candid answers from people - curious as i thought liquid would drop idle to like 20-30 and peak at 50-60...but everywhere I look the temps are much higher.

with good custom liquid loop, idle temperatures are about the same as room temperature.
load temperature is not comparable. especially due to the fact that people will push their overclocks to the max. And will stop only when temps are reaching the sane limits.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What are your overclock settings and is HT enabled? When trying to hit 4GHz what voltage are you applying?

The Noctua you have now should be more than enough to cool your 950 @ 4GHz. Could try re-adjust your overclock settings to achieve lower temps.

Basing on the 920 in my sig these were my settings:

4GHz

XMP

CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK FREQ: 191
PCIE FREQ: 100
DRAM FREQ: 1149
UCLK FREQ: 2298
QPI LINK: AUTO

______

CPU VOLTAGE: 1.27
CPU PLL: 1.88
QPI/DRAM 1.25
C1E SUPPORT: ENABLED
HT: DISABLED
A20M: DISABLED
INTEL CSTATE: DISABLED

Indeed hardware is different but if it helps you, thought i'd share it. The D12 cooler im using in it doesn't go over 68c 100% HT off though can add another 10c to that almost if enabled.

mrdecast

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for sharing your settings - will play around with my settings as well. You are really pushing your chip!

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thats not without headaches early on. Dropping memory freq was what eventually gave me stability at 4 without giving more vcore or dram voltage. It's still going and it hasn't missed a beat.

mrdecast

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

Just wanted to say that your specs are greatly appreciated - updated the BIOS and an running about 5-7 cooler. Was a great great help. Thank you again!