Can’t reset windows, stuck on chose keyboard layout.

zebbieman123

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I need to reset windows but keep the files in windows 10, but after the pc restarts I’m told to chose a keyboard layout, but no hardware is responsive, when I hit a key the LED on the keyboard flashes. From there all I can do is power off the pc and it will go back to windows 10 with a message telling me that windows was unable to reset.

I’ve searched everywhere to find a fix but can’t find a solution. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
One thought, do you have latest BIOS on motherboard? it might be a miscommunication between board and windows as to what devices are attached

one suggested fix is to try running the reset using the win 10 installer
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
PC will restart and hopefully not get stuck on the keyboard screen again.

Another option is use the win 10 installer to clean...

Colif

Win 11 Master
One thought, do you have latest BIOS on motherboard? it might be a miscommunication between board and windows as to what devices are attached

one suggested fix is to try running the reset using the win 10 installer
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
PC will restart and hopefully not get stuck on the keyboard screen again.

Another option is use the win 10 installer to clean install win 10 (after backing up everything you want to keep on your boot hdd) as it should fix this as well

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

Solution