23" IPS or 27" VA (mainly for reading)

Wannieg

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Right now i'm between two monitors I can afford (23MP55HQ and VA270H). I'm focusing in a better reading experience because of college but I also play a lot of games (though not a lot of FPS nor competitive) and watch lots of Netflix in it. Which one would be the better choice?

I was told IPS would be the way to go, but for what I read IPS has better viewing angles and better color reproduction, but I sit right in front of the monitor and don't do any image editing so is that really something useful for me?
I've been going to stores to look at some screens and really feels like the 27" would be the better size for me. I sit at about 72cm from the screen, not sure if that would be too close for the 27"

Both monitor are 1080p (theres just not good 27" 1440p option in my country, plus with a 1060 6gb i think i''m better served with 1080p and I don't get what people mean by pixel density in the 27" 1080p).

Right now I'm with a 18.5" 720p monitor and really need to upgrade.

Wannieg

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017

But the IPS angle and color would be any use for me? I mean, the color would be nice, but it's really worth it (over say a bigger one or with better refresh rate)? As for the angle, I only use the PC sitting right in front of it, so whatever.

Unless, of course, those things have a extra impact that I not considering and that makes the reading better. (?)

This a nice monitor, but it's not worth to import, big itens tend to be taxed in 60% of it's total value, I can ended up paying more for it than would for a better one locally =/

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017

Well. If you are mostly reading, and REALLY want the bigger screen. The 27 inch is fine.

It is up to whatever you want screen size wise and if you are willing to give it up for a lesser image quality.