Can't restart or shut down

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Recently I have tried to shut down my computer. It gets all the way to turning off my screen, but the computer itself never turns off. I have to hold the power button for it to fully power down.

Much the same happens with restarting, except it gets to the blue restarting screen with the circle of dots and stays there indefinitely.

When I put my computer to sleep, it actually does go to sleep....for about 3 seconds, and then boots up without me touching anything. Putting it to sleep again makes it sleep for good.

I'm using Windows 10. No updates are happening, and other than the listed issues, my computer seems to be running fine...

Any ideas?

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I always hating answering questions with out sufficient information. My GUESS is this is an older computer (i.e. MB) or and older power supply (yes and older power supply can do that) that doesn't fully support these functions. The only other thing would be a legacy device that is interfering. Windows 10 does a good job of supplying compatible drivers... mostly but not always. Too, if you upgraded rather than a clean install that is always problematic.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Apologies. I've got an i7 4770, with a power supply that was bought approximately 1 year ago. This hasn't always happened. It used to function just fine, until recently. Considering I haven't added or removed any devices recently, I don't think it would be that. This computer was an upgrade from W7 to W10.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

I am not sure... I have seen video cards / drivers cause strange things to happen as well as peripherals. I have seen upgrades cause problem as opposed to a clean install. I would start removing peripherals one at a time and test. If your CPU has a built in video card I would remove your add in video card if you have one and test that also. Also have you checked your BIOS settings? Checked for a BIOS update? Googled your motherboard for others with a similiar issue? I don't have a firm answer for you.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

....and I have seen that too! Wonderful World of WIndows