How do I properly install windows 10?

Jun 22, 2017
I am planning to build a pc, all the parts have been delivered. How do I properly install a legitimate version of windows 10 from start to finish? And what version should i buy?

Solution

Win 10 is different than 7 or 8.1
Previous version would run 100% unencumbered for 30 days.
Then, it would start an increasing level of annoyance, eventually shutting off completely every hour or two.

Win 10 starts the annoyance from Day 1, but it is trivial.
Can't customize the desktop background
Can't customize the Taskbar.
And the above mentioned nag text overlay that appears whenever it feels like.
And of course, MS could simply cut off unactivated versions whenever they see fit. There is no guarantee it will continue to work forever.
Having...
You can either buy a hard copy disk from a retailer. If you do, then just pop the disk in and follow the instructions. Easy enough.

Or you can download it from Microsoft and put it on a USB boot your new PC to the USB stick and follow the instructions.

As for which version, it is up to you, but I have never used any of the features on the pro version, so for me, home would be just fine.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Purchase a valid OS. Amazon, Newegg, Walmart, BestBuy, or direct from Microsoft
2. Windows 10 Home is probably what you need.
3. You'll get the OS on either a USB or DVD, or as an ISO download. USB recommended, unless you want to make one yourself.
4. Once the system is assembled and it powers up to the BIOS screen, then you can think about the OS install.

5. Have only the desired target drive (HDD or SSD) connected.
Boot from your USB or DVD
The installation is pretty easy. Follow the prompts.
Enter your license key when it asks.
Continue
Don't automatically accept all the default settings. Read what each one does, and make your own decision.

Jun 22, 2017

Forgot to add that my case is the nzxt s340 elite, so I don't have a bay for the blue ray drive or whatever it's called, so I must install it into the USB. And BTW, I saw a video with someone skipping the product key scene, does that mean I don't have to buy the product key? (If that's what you get on Microsoft website)

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, you can run it Unactivated.
You lose out on a few trivial properties, and have to live with a randomly appearing nag text overlay at the bottom right.
But it does run and get updates.

You also get the satisfaction of knowing that you are not supporting the people who make the software...:)

Jun 22, 2017

Hmm, I've seen that text before on some windows 7 computers at my school, it was about 2014-15. Anyways can you explain the 'trivial properties' included with the activated version?

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10 is different than 7 or 8.1
Previous version would run 100% unencumbered for 30 days.
Then, it would start an increasing level of annoyance, eventually shutting off completely every hour or two.

Win 10 starts the annoyance from Day 1, but it is trivial.
Can't customize the desktop background
Can't customize the Taskbar.
And the above mentioned nag text overlay that appears whenever it feels like.
And of course, MS could simply cut off unactivated versions whenever they see fit. There is no guarantee it will continue to work forever.
Having said that, I have a Win 10 Pro running in a VM to test this specific thing. Installed Dec 8 2016, so almost 11 months old. Still running just fine.
My real systems are, however, all valid activated versions.

Solution