Missing/invisible taskbar icons and thumbnails after CCleaner

trickrickmusic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
I've used CCleaner hundreds of times in the past but never came across a problem like this before. After running the software, cleaning and rebooting, certain taskbar icons are now invisible and picture thumbnails are missing.

I've tried rebuilding the icon & thumbnail cache multiple times with no success. I've just contacted Piriform but was hoping for an answer from here as well.

The missing taskbar icons seem to only be apps from Windows. The ones I have there that are missing are Netflix, Mail, & Sticky Notes.

Thanks!

Solution
One solution is to create a new local user, copy the contents of your current user onto new one at C:\Users\username , make it admin and see if it has same problem. It may have broken your user profile and I have yet to figure out an easy way to repair them.

It only takes 15 minutes, it has access to everything you did, just need to set up browsers, Steam login, and maybe Onedrive if you used it before

Another fix is a repair install: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
you could try system restore unless you let ccleaner clean that as well... it might resolve the problem
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under Advanced Startup, click the restart now button
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a date - hopefully its recent.
PC will restart and roll system back to date

I don't know if this will fix it but it might:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

trickrickmusic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016

Hi Colif,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, none of those worked either...

Any idea what else it could be?

trickrickmusic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016

Just updated it, I had version 5.30 on 64 bit. Pretty sure it's CCleaner since Thumbnail Cache was selected and things became corrupted right after.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One solution is to create a new local user, copy the contents of your current user onto new one at C:\Users\username , make it admin and see if it has same problem. It may have broken your user profile and I have yet to figure out an easy way to repair them.

It only takes 15 minutes, it has access to everything you did, just need to set up browsers, Steam login, and maybe Onedrive if you used it before

Another fix is a repair install: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Solution