Need a reasonably quiet PSU for a system upgrade to i7 8700/8700k

the_jiveman

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I'm planning an upgrade of my current system, which is currently using OCZ600SXS 600W PSU, running i5 3750k (non-OC), 4x4GB RAM, and Radeon R9 380 GPU, among other things.

I'm upgrading to i7 8700 or 8700k with a new mobo, obviously, 2x8GB RAM. I may or may not be upgrading the GPU at this time, we'll see (might do it next year, I only game occasionally). The rest of the system will more or less be the same (2xSSD, 1xHDD, nothing crazy).

While my OCZ600SXS PSU seems to be running strong, and I could probably get away for running it even with new components, I think it would be better/safer to replace it. It's 6+ years old, it's served well.

So, I'm wondering whether or not I really need to go above 650W, given that I won't be running multiple GPUs, and even if I upgrade my GPU, it won't be top of the line, most power-hungry. I might get whatever is the next reasonable upgrade from R9 380, eventually.

The other concern is noise. I think OCZ600SXS is not too bad with noise, but I'm curious what are good known PSUs these days that are relatively quiet, without breaking the bank.

Modular vs non-modular I don't particularly care, as long as it's good, reliable PSU, enough wattage, and quiet.

Would love to hear some suggestions! Thanks!

I prefer modular because it allows me to have better airflow (only plug in the cables I need).
You don't need more than another 600w. You new system will draw just over 400w so you could even go with as little as a 500w, but it might impact efficiency a little.... I'd focus on PSU quality over capacity. A nice high-end PSU is really the foundation for a good PC.

This one is very nice at 160
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-ATX12V-Supply-SSR-650TD/dp/B01HXYRJYK/

If you want one for less, this one
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Quark-550-Platinum-Certified/dp/B00VS86WXW/
Is very nice and close to silent.

The Seasonic Primes are very quiet, come in 3 different ratings, all are quiet and excellent.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $94.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-01 21:52 EDT-0400

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $123.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-01 21:53 EDT-0400

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 650W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($141.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $141.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-01 21:54 EDT-0400

the_jiveman

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Thanks for the great suggestions! Yeah, I was thinking about keeping it under $100 if possible, assuming that gives me something reasonably quiet. Of course I would prefer modular as well, but I was thinking if lower budget means I have to skip on modular, then so be it, as long as it's decently quiet and reliable, like I said. Looks like I have some choices either way.

Just curious how these cheaper ones compare to the above mentioned Seasonic Prime Gold 650W or the Rosewill Quark 550 Platinum, in terms of noise and overall quality?

EVGA SuperNova G3 650W = $68

Corsair CXM 650W = $70

Just curious what makes those cheaper, since I'm pretty unfamiliar with PSUs. Is it the power rating that makes the biggest difference?

The g3 is fully Modular and a bit better quality. The txm is better than cxm and both are semi Modular.
So yeah, the g3 is the best bet if you can. Allows you to go for a heavy oc and a beefy gpu later.

the_jiveman

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Hmm, thanks, but if g3 is the best, why is the cheaper than others? Just curious. Also, how about the noise level of g3?

The g3 is not the best, it is just better than the other one you were looking at. The price? Who knows. It is close to identical. Maybe the Corsair has slightly better brand recognition.