GTX 980 High Idle temps

ryanlavery123

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Okay, so i have haad my GTX 980 Strix for around 2 years now, and it is great. I recently changed the fans at the top of the case into exhaust fans. This has significantly reduced the temp of my cpu, however, my gpu temps have risen to around 55-60 whilst idle, but they only go up to around 70-75 whilst playing games. is this normal?

Solution

Bromin327

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

FIrst make sure you have intake fans in the front and exhaust on the back and top. Doing this, your fronts will take in the cool air of your room pushing it toward your cpu and gpu. Then your top and back will take away the heat produced.
For your GPU, since you said it is 2 years now...have you cleaned the fans at all? Dust can really affect temps. Give your PC a good cleaning

ryanlavery123

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

Yeah ive cleaned the gpu several times, i currently only have 1 intake fan and 2 exhaust fans. My case isnt the best considering it can only fit 1 fan at the front. i also have a fan set as exhaust on the back but that fan is currently broken so its not much use. Im getting a new case soon but i just wanted to make sure my pc is fine in the mean time

Bromin327

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Id always recommend for a case to have 2 intake 2 outs. Youll want to get those fans installed and also make sure you have fans that actually push plenty of air... usually stock fans push little and are very noisey so get you some fans from someone like corsair who have performance fans and silent fans.
Now for temps...it would depend on what it is at full load. If Cpu passes 90C..thats a problem. Gpu...85C thats a problem.

Solution

ryanlavery123

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

Yeah i understand, ill be getting the nzxt h440 in a while which will most likely cause a drop in temp because it has 3 fans at the front. Anyway, thanks for the help :)