Home Theater Office PC - Celeron G3930 for 4K video playback use? vs Pentium/i3

jm94

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I am building a HTPC for our living room, which will also be used for some light gaming with a controller. (By light, i mean games like five nights at freddys, and other games on medium settings at 1080p. Our TV is 4K for 4K home and commercial movie playback. Most of my gaming is done on the PS2 Compatible PS3 (RSX reballed, awesome unit) and my PS4...

I have bought a decent kaby lake board to give me wiggle room to upgrade the CPU in future when budget allows. I just need something so this works instantly with room for further upgrade in a few months (although if suitable for HTPC use ill keep it). All other parts I have, and have matched

I am on a very tight budget, primarily because I allocated 3K on a high end custom laptop and used most of my savings to clear all my debts to start a fresh (never to get into debt again), with dual 1080 GPUs and an i7 7700K custom build as most of my work is done on the move and involved intense rendering. All parts bar the CPU, RAM, case and motherboard I had on hand. In light of this, I have NO intention of using the PC now or in the future for any intense computing tasks, only what I have described.

The video card we have available is more than adequate for this PC two spare Nvidia GTX 980 and an SSD for a boot drive, windows 10 pro, and 8GB of RAM. (DDR4 seems so expensive).

This PC will also be used for a backup file store as well with two dual 12TB HDDs to be inserted inside. PSU is a corsair HX850 platinum I have lying around, yes i know its a hammer to knock in a nail, but its there and has been sat in my loft since my old mining days.

Now of course, celeron is as low end as low end gets. I am looking merely for media, office tasks and home theater use with light gaming on the TV (not at 4K resolution). I have checked benchmarks and find conflicting results on 4K video playback for celerons, as I am stuck between this and the Pentium thats a mark up from it, but if i was to get the Pentium i would be better off spending a few quid and getting the i3 and doing away with the debate, as a kaby lake i3 would be more than adequate.

The GPU will be put to work mining cryptocurrency when the system is idling and not in use using the nicehash miner to also heat the room during winter time. Those two cards make about £2.50/day, the heat means i just turn the heating down. No issue with power costs as i heat the room anyway.

So guys, in your wisdom, do you feel the Celeron G3930, Pentium/i3 is the better choice for my goals? No point overspending on a CPU if I do not have to if it suits the purpose of the machine. The 4K video is very important, but I wonder if it lacks the horsepower to do that and will bottleneck us. I have researched benchmarks and CPUs as always, but i cannot find a solid answer re. this CPU. I am considering it because my mate wants to sell his for an i5 upgrade, and is offering it to me for a mere tenner along with its cooler and I already have my own thermal paste. A tenner is a steal considering its usual £35 price.

Not had a celeron since my mother got me my first 'modern' windows XP PC to upgrade from my windows 98 PC in 2004. A good step up from my P1 machine and I loved it, but the celeron always has its limitations compared to the i7s i have always owned!

Jacob :)

4K playback doesn't demand a lot, a $40 android box can play it. The problem is with copyright protection. Netflix 4K is almost possible to get playing on a TV from a PC. If you have a 4K smart TV, and has Netflix built in, that takes care of that. What type of "commerical 4K" content were you thinking of playing?

jm94

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I wanted to play 4K video files, many done on my own camera gear (H264 at 25 FPS is my final output which is what I show, I often have showings of my video to friends, etc as I have a hobby of recording events and making them into movies and I do some professionally) is my typical rendering, and youtube 4K playback. Netflix is built into the TV so netflix is taken care of you are right.

I would be interested in the Ultra HD blu-rays possibly in the future, if the DRM wasn't such that I cannot rip my movie disks to my PC, which is what I typically have always done. The drives are next to impossible to find as well.

Never should have got into 4K, the video quality is such that I can't go back, even my crappy mobile phone videos MUST be 4K now, and its cost me a fortune in disk space :)

I'll be completely honest, I can't be bothered to read all of that, but if you're building a home theater PC for a 4k TV then I'd recommend the Pentium G4620 or G4600. The main reason is that, with Windows 10, HDCP 2.2 (which only Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake CPUs with HD630 or better iGPUs support), and your TV hooked into the onboard video connections, you can stream Netflix in full 4k resolution. You can't do that with the celerons or Pentium G45xx CPUs because they don't support HDCP 2.2.

jm94

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
HDCP 2.2... I never thought of that. I never knew that was required in the CPU. If a Pentium is going to be the port of call over the celeron as a result of that, I will probably go for the i3 which is not much more.

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS