Is it still possible to get windows 10 onto a new PC for free?

michaelmerj

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I am about a build a new PC from scratch. For the last pc i built, which was about 8 months ago, i booted from a USB with windows 7 on it, with no key to activate it. I then proceeded to skip all prompts asking for my key, and once i was in, i did a free upgrade to windows ten (which automatically activated the key). I was wondering if this is still possible to do? As ive done some google searching and can't find anything recent. Thanks

Solution
This was often possible because Windows 7 could use a SLIC table in the BIOS to activate without a key or having to go online, so your Windows 7 could have actually been activated. This method of activation was removed for Windows 8 due to rampant piracy of 7.

AFAIK, the free Windows 10 upgrade will only activate automatically if the previous OS was activated, no matter how that was done, key or not.

BTW it's still free until December 31st, provided your previous OS was activated.
This was often possible because Windows 7 could use a SLIC table in the BIOS to activate without a key or having to go online, so your Windows 7 could have actually been activated. This method of activation was removed for Windows 8 due to rampant piracy of 7.

AFAIK, the free Windows 10 upgrade will only activate automatically if the previous OS was activated, no matter how that was done, key or not.

BTW it's still free until December 31st, provided your previous OS was activated.

Solution