How do I reinstall Windows 10 w/o installation disc

canoemtp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
So, this morning, I walked into the blue screen of death with an error message of critical failure. I attempted to restart and when I went to enter my PIN to access my PC, it would freeze causing me to reset the computer again and again. I tried getting to safe mode; however, windows rejected my password. I knew I had the right PW but it would not accept. After walking away, I walked into my PC resetting, and deleting known windows programs. I thought everything was good as I was able to log back in and use my PC. To my dismay, from time to time, the computer will quit telling me there is a critical system error.

I have been troubleshooting all night and cannot find what is wrong. I have decided to wipe the C rive and reinstall windows; however, I have 7 and did the download upgrade. What do I need to do to get 10 back and will my system recognize the key? Any help would be appreciated.

Last thing, I have two secondary drives. One is for pictures and the other I keep my PC games like World of Warcraft. With a clean install, will I see these drives and their contents?

Thank You...

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD, your choice

After a broken reset, I would suggest a fresh install
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD, your choice

After a broken reset, I would suggest a fresh install
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

Install only wipes C drive (the hdd C is on) so all other drives will be ignored. It might be a good idea to detach them from power inside PC before you install win 10 as it has a habit of putting its boot partition on spare drives and the can mean PC won't boot if you remove that drive later. Apart from that, win 10 ignores extra drives during the install process. You will see contents of them once added but may need to take ownership of them for Steam (for instance) to use them, same may apply to WOW.

Solution