USB 3.1 external HDD for backup?

Bellzemos

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Hello!

I have a new desktop PC with a 1TB NVMe drive. I'd like to get an external 1TB drive for full system image backups. I tought about an external SSD but they are too pricey.

Would I benefit in getting an external 1TB hard disk drive with a USB 3.1 port? My motherboard supports (has) an USB 3.1 port.

I currently have an old external hard disk drive with USB 3.0 port and it takes forever to backup on it...

Thank you!

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
Mechanical harddisks wont benefit from USB 3.1 , it will work the same on USB 3.0

But get 3.1 USB-C anyways , the USB-C is easier to work with ...

JaredDM

Honorable
Also, be aware that if you plan on saving the backup as an image file (rather than a straight clone drive) it won't fit on a 1Tb. A 1Tb image doesn't fit on a 1Tb drive since some capacity is lost to filesystem overhead.

1. First of all are you absolutely certain your motherboard supports USB 3.1 Gen 2? Presumably that USB port (or ports) are external, correct?

2. Both Type-A and Type-C connectors/ports or one or the other?

3. Provide the make/model of the motherboard?

It may be desirable for you to purchase a USB external enclosure with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, but first respond to the above questions.

Also, when you refer to creating backups of your system explain precisely the program you're using for the backup operations and the frequency of your backups. Include whether your backups are COMPREHENSIVE backups of your system, including the OS and all other data, or just certain selected data. And where you presently store those backups.