Overclocking a Phillips monitor - how to override/stop warnings and forced sleep mode?

Citysurvivor

Reputable
May 22, 2017
I have a phillips 190B8 75hz 1280x1024 monitor that I want to overclock. (I know this monitor is old and crappy, which is why I chose it for OC'ing). It goes up to 75hz without OC'ing.

When I use nvidia's control panel, it goes up to 84hz with no artifacts, but then I get a popup from the monitor that comes up every now and then. "THIS IS 85HZ OVERDRIVE. change input to [native res and refresh rate]". I can't open the monitor's settings menu, and i cant close the annoying message until it disappears on it's own. I get the same message until I put it back down to 77hz.

After some time, the monitor announces it's entering sleep mode (when i'm using the PC), and does that. Wiggling my mouse/keyboard doesn't wake it up, but If I press the monitor's power button, it comes back on just fine with the same pop-ups, only to force-sleep several minutes later.

Considering that this message is a popup that still lets me use the monitor, and the monitor doesn't force-sleep until 10 minutes later, i don't think this my OC is too high... any way to override this?

BTW I am aware that OC'ing monitors has little benefit, but this is a cheapo monitor that has no use for anything else but for this experiment. I play FPS games that seem to benefit from refresh rates, dare I say even from slight 60hz-75hz increases.