Can't use computer jacks for audio

calejohn

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
I was recently trying to get audio to come out of both my speakers and headphones. In the process I messed something up and now there is 0 sound input and output on my computer with the exception of my monitor. In sound manager it shows my speakers and monitor as sound devices, speakers are set to default and in green, they just don't have a volume bar on their right. Meanwhile I get sound output to my monitor and it actually has the volume bar on the right of it. I've tried everything, updated drivers, tried old drivers for realtek manager and can't even disable audio out of my monitor. Is there anything I can do to get the audio to come out of my speakers? I feel like a main point on why it's not working is there is no soundbar on the right of the speakers in the sound manager options.
I turned up the decibals or something in realtek manager and can hear static go up in the speaker (headphone) so I know they aren't broken and plugged in correctly.
When I try to switch from my monitor audio to my speaker audio in volume control it tells me "No audio device is installed"

Solution
Well, if you have tried all the little things, then I believe the only solution is to do a clean install of windows. This is clearly a software issue and not hardware, so it will definitely be resolved with that. Of course, you will have to take backup of all the data that is in OS drive and install it from scratch. And, I mean, clean installation, no upgrades, no resets.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
If you are on windows 10, left click on the sound icon in the taskbar, right above the volume meter, a drop down should be there. Select your correct output device from that.

Alternatively, right click on the sound icon, click on playback devices, left click on headphones or speakers, click on "make default", click ok and you are done

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
And, I am assuming, clicking on Realtek..... and then "set default" doesnt work for you?

If that is the case, then your PC is playing two different streams from the rear and front ports. If you open your Realtek (or motherboard) sound manager and if you go into options, you will see something like "play different streams..... " or some such. Just uncheck that and this should resolve your issue.

calejohn

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Trust me I've tried every little thing within Realtek, all sound managers, and command prompt things.
Well I messed around in my mobo and for no reason at all I have a audio button again on my taskbar and the volume bars on the right of the speakers.
BUT I still have no audio.
I'm pretty sure it's my computer itself that can't produce the audio, normally the volume bars would go green with audio in the background but they dont at all anymore. Also when I click "test" for audio it gives me an error "failed to play test tone".

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Well, if you have tried all the little things, then I believe the only solution is to do a clean install of windows. This is clearly a software issue and not hardware, so it will definitely be resolved with that. Of course, you will have to take backup of all the data that is in OS drive and install it from scratch. And, I mean, clean installation, no upgrades, no resets.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS