hyperlink freezes window and delays browser opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeiownsu

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Hello all,
I recently built a new system with a 6850k on a Rampage V Edition 10. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a Samsung 840 evo. After getting to the desktop i noticed that i was having a hard time installing chrome, having to restart edge several times before it allowed me to download it. After that i downloaded the blizzard battle net app and clicked on a link from the program which led to it locking up and after over a min it launched chrome and loaded the page. I restarted it and tried again, clicking several more times, which led to the same problem only now more windows of that link popped up. I was able to replicate this issue with in the control panel such as privacy policy, and anything that leads to the browser opening up. I can open up the browser on its own with no trouble at all and do everything i need. Has anyone run into a situation like this. Im also using 16gbs of GSkill Trident Z memory, and a 980ti.
Thanks in advance for any help.

jimaxx

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Hi,

I have the exact same issue also with a new ryzen build. From what I've managed to find out its an issue caused by a clean install of the newest windows update.
I'm yet to find a solution short of installing an older version and allowing the updates to run successively.

jimaxx

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I've tried the above with no success as well as a few tricks with creating new users and power-shell commands. Seems like a fairly rare issue, all be it fairly major when people get it since it renders the OS unusable in a lot of circumstances.

aeiownsu

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
yeah i feel you i just tried the method once and didnt check back after a restart or shutdown to see if it was temporary. Hopefully MS will release an update soon.

Haiz02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

It actually happened the same to me. I think it was the new windows thats causing the problem.

heyrambojambo

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I too am having this issue, however this is on a 2 year old computer for me, and all I did was reset the computer to factory defaults, and now hyperlinks lag any program really that I am using to the point it almost crashes. This is saddening to here that after months there is not a definite fix, but I hope someone can fix it ;(

Feb 14, 2018

THANK YOU! This fixed the problem for me!

Go to Apps and Features, find Microsoft Edge, click on it, then Advanced Options, then select Repair and then Reset. Voila - instant fix for the Chrome issue described above.

Jun 24, 2018

I did this and it seemed like it worked for a few moments. But after a minute or so it went back to the old behavior.

What did end up fixing it in my case was removing "\\live.sysinternals.com\tools" from the PATH. That was a recommendation I had found online that I'd forgotten I did, but it made the run command take 20 seconds or more for many programs.

Mar 6, 2020

I did this and it seemed like it worked for a few moments. But after a minute or so it went back to the old behavior.

What did end up fixing it in my case was removing "\\live.sysinternals.com\tools" from the PATH. That was a recommendation I had found online that I'd forgotten I did, but it made the run command take 20 seconds or more for many programs.
The Repair and Reset fix seems to have mitigated the problem for now. Should that change I intend to update this response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS