I need somebody with experience to help me choose a monitor :)

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Hi guys,

I want to buy a monitor in the next few days but I am not sure what to go for. I don't want to spend any more that 600 euro, including shipping if possible. Here is my current build:

i5 4690K
MSI GTX 970
MSI PC MATE Mobo
8GB RAM
850 Evo SSD x 2

I currently have an ASUS 24 inch monitor (TN Panel). However I am looking for something along the lines of a 32 inch monitor. I have done some research and I believe I would be better of with an IPS panel and a resolution of 1440p. I don't want a 4K monitor.

I do not know if having a 144Hz refresh rate is something I will notice, but then again I'm no expert.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Noel :)

Solution
Response time on the specs does not tell me anything I wanna know on how good the monitor is.
I only trust tests or reviews about the real total input lag of the monitor, incl. the ghosting or reverse ghosting effect, which come with the monitor.

75hz is not really a huge bump from 60hz but it is still quite a big an upgrade. People underestimate the impact of having higher refresh rate for gaming.

Search in internet on how the monitor is doing.
1440p 144hz? your GPU will not be strong enough to push 144fps but you still gain the benefit of having 144hz even if you do not get 144fps.

GTX970 is on it's limit for 1440p, you have to reduce quite a lot of settings in games to get as near as 60 fps.
I5 4690k will also have problem pushing 144fps on some heavy AAA games.

Yes, 144hz is awesome, you will never wanna go back. Tearing free and that smoothness especially if your PC can push 144fps.

IPS is also a must for me, TN sucks on the viewing angle part so bad that I hate it.

For 1440p, 27" is the most effective size, not 32". Most of 2560x1440 monitors are 27".

144Hz IPS? This is quite expensive especially those with GSync, €600 is though. I do not see such monitors on that price unless they are on special sale or second-handed.

The best monitors are those 1440p 144hz IPS ones...but those do not come cheap..
XB271HU, PG279Q, etc. cost around €700-900.
And..this technology is quite new and still unstable, you might need to RMA these monitors several times until you get a relatively fully problem-free sample (free of bad backlight bleeding, dead pixel, etc.)

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Thank you for all the information!

I'm aware that my GPU will struggle a small bit, however I plan on upgrading my whole rig in the coming months. So yes it seems that 27inch is the best size for 1440p. Would I be better off going for a 75Hz monitor in that case?

Another issue that has come up is the response time. I can find some decent IPS monitors within my budget, however they have a 6ms response time. They look like really nice monitors and tick all the boxes. Do you think that this will be a problem?

Response time on the specs does not tell me anything I wanna know on how good the monitor is.
I only trust tests or reviews about the real total input lag of the monitor, incl. the ghosting or reverse ghosting effect, which come with the monitor.

75hz is not really a huge bump from 60hz but it is still quite a big an upgrade. People underestimate the impact of having higher refresh rate for gaming.

Search in internet on how the monitor is doing.

Solution

noeljamesdoherty

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it! :)