Any tech podcast explaining tech stuff principles?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I use fantastic podcast webs such as techguylabs, etc that explain tech stuff very well. However, they wont' explain stuff in a structured manner: if you want to learn about MacOS new file system, you'll have to wait for they to talk about that, or google or Youtube for it.

I wonder if there's any tech podcasts that explain stuff in a structured manner: like "lessons", without delving too deep, just as a general basic knowledge.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about your overall question per se.

However, if you include the word "tutorial" in your google searches you may find more structured presentations and papers.

Likewise try "white paper" as search criteria. They tend to be a bit more conceptual and can often be the front for some product advertisement. Still some white papers do provide very good background and conceptual detail. Commonly found at manufacturer's or vendor's websites.

Cisco has some very good offerings with respect to networking.

Blackbox is another good source:

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/support/resource

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for your answer, I found it useful to an extent. I'm looking for podcasts explaining tech stuff: for example, where I can get a list such as: HDR-10. APFS. DOLBY-VISION, etc, and listen to an explanation. It's true that in Google I can usually find this, but I wonder if there's any web that explains all of this stuff.

Ralston18

Titan
Not aware of any such sites per se. Will defer to other forum members who may know of a specific website that meets your requirements.

Try using other search engines and vary the search terms and criteria.

Example search: "home theater tutorial websites"

Found the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Theater-Guide-Training-Tutorial/dp/B00176X7BK

Very much narrows down to you finding what you like and proceeding accordingly.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for your answer.

What I'm looking for is a podcast website that lists items like these:

- How HDR works
- How SSD works
- 4K TVs explained
or even more specific technical ones such as:
- Latest Processors explained
- Refurbishing PCB boards in computers, worth it?

This is stuff that you can just find very randomly and many times poorly explained

The best I found is howstuffworks with has just a few podcasts. The tech guy is very good, but it's just based on loose conversations commenting stuff.

Ralston18

Titan
Very unlikely to be one "all encompassing" website.

You will have to look for websites that specialize in one topic or subject.

Peruse book stores and online for graduate level text books. You might even find a few old technical manuals. Some of those books had excellent explanations, diagrams, and references.

National Geographic has some very good technical articles and explanations focused on space related topics. Black Box addresses many communications and network related topics.

"Worth it" is relative. May be more of love of the task than any specific monetary or actual benefit to the doer. Restoration work is a good example.

You may or may not be able to make money restoring old electronics. E.g. refurbishing PCB boards.

Personally I prefer and tend to catch on more quickly with diagrams and images. Even better if I can hold something in my hands. And even more so if I get to use it.

Generally find that one "podcast" addresses one aspect or another of some topic. Then another podcast or source works to fill in the details. Or bring it all together to the point where I understand.