Windows keeps freezing - not in safe mode

DerrickRose1992

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I played some CS:GO on Sunday. Had no problems. During the game I switched to the Windows Interface, because I wanted to google something. Suddenly freeze. I couldn't do anything anymore. Restarted, started CS:GO again immediately, and voila I could play again. Once I finished playing and exited the game, after 1 minute again freeze, but I thought nothing of it.

So yesterday I started my PC again and after a minute freeze. Nothing I could do again. Restarted, after 1 minute again.

Now what have i already tried:

1. Booting in Safe Mode

Works! I can do everything there no freeze

2. Booting in Safe Mode with Network

Also works!

3. Switched from external GPU to Intel Graphics

Nothing changed, still freezing

4. Deactivated all non Windows Services and startup programms

Nothing changed, still freezing

5. Unplugged all USB-devices

Nothing changed, still freezing.

6. Ran Malware check

Everything good, no Malware.

7. Check device Manager

No errors shown

8. Plugged Pc with a different Cable to a different monitor

Nothing changed. Still freezing.

9. Fallback to a Windows restore point from Saturday

Nothing changed. Still freezing.

I am kind of running out of ideas. For me it has to be a Microsoft Problem. In safe mode it works, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

DerrickRose1992

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Yes updated. Everything fine. But since I tested internal and external GPU and both experience the issue, I don't think it has to do with the Graphics.

And yes Windows is up to date.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Heat, power, and driver issues usually cause these sorts of problems. What are the specs for this system?

The "safe mode works" is what points to a possible driver issue. In safe mode, only essential services are running, as well as generic drivers, in many cases.

The video driver is a usual suspect, as can be the motherboard chipset drivers.

DerrickRose1992

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Ok so I have now reinstalled the Nvidia Driver for my GTX 1060, and disabled Hyper-V.

Now the PC keeps restarting instead of freezing. What the hell

DerrickRose1992

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Sorry for the long wait for reply. Had not much time.

I experimented a bit, reinstalled Geforce Drivers in Safe Mode and also turned off Hyper-V.

Now instead of freezing my PC keeps restarting after 1 minute or so of use. Again not in Safe Mode.

After I thought about installing Windows 10 completely. Made a backup of my files and created an USB-Stick with Windows 10 Installation on my friends PC:

Now even though I boot from my USB-Stick the PC still restarts after the same time, so I can't reinstall Windows.

I also unplugged the external GPU but still no difference.

I am completely lost right now, since I was sooo sure it would be a Windows 10 Problem, however this now looks more like a Hardware issue. And the most obvious case, the GPU, was false it still happens without it attached.

Here's my specs:

• G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM
    Intel i5-6600k
    Asus GeForce 1060 6GB
    256GB SSD
    ASUS Z-170M-E D3
    Corsair CP-9020091-EU RMX Serie RM650X ATX/EPS Voll Modular 80 PLUS Gold 650W

erodygin

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
I have exactly the same issue on my new PC build. It is worked fine for about a month but a few days ago my PC started to freeze after a few seconds after Windows loaded. When it is happens I only can shut PC down using Power button. It is works fine in Safe Mode in 99% of cases, I also tried to unplug my GTX 1060, remove/reinstall drivers for GPU and Intel HD 630, restore system, etc.

I still hope it is a software issue, but have no ideas what else I can try.

Let my know if you have any luck fighting with this problem.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H Motherboard
INTEL CORE I7 7700 3.60
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB
2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2133Mhz DDR4
500W Be Quiet! Pure Power 10