New website layout is awful

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I know this is purely subjective but coming from someone that has been an avid Tom's reader and contributer, the new site layout has me looking hard for alternatives. The spacing and 'zoom' of the website layout makes hitting the homepage painful since I have to now scroll all over the page while fighting the new notification and video pop up just to find a review or answer a community question.

There is absolutely no way I am the only one that feels this way. Tom's, I implore you, allow me to donate or something so you can pull out of whatever ad driven hell that you are moving toward. Open a patreon or something. Anything would be better than a giant Shopsavvy ad at the top of the page while spacing out all the content I view your site for.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Interestingly enough, once you log in you see the old site layout on the forums at least. It's sad to see it go, but I know they will get around to converting this space soon enough.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't mind the new layout if the site wasn't so buggy since the changeover. I randomly get switched between different layouts, and spontaneously get logged out. My notifications on the front page are often bugged, i.e. showing I have 3 unread updates to followed threads but there's actually none. For like a month I would always appear logged out on the front page (no matter how many times I logged in), but would be logged in as soon as I went to the forums. At least the "Comment from the forums" button in article comment sections seems to have reliably returned...

BenJaD

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

And if were not bad enough - today became more unusable. As someone has suggested - member support would far exceed any that this change does not! I, for my part, have a few subscriptions that I would drop to get back what was a great layout. Oh, and make your media person read every one of our criticisms many times, and see how that works!

And why, pray tell; I cannot tag this as a reply, not the "Add a solution" singular option!

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

The solution part is my fault since i accidentally set this up as a question rather than a discussion. I don't know if this is true but perhaps Tom's was aquired or partnered with Shopsavvy since their garbage is all over the home page? Either way I would pay a subscription to have the old site back as in its current state I cannot read any reviews without constantly being distracted by the terrible site design. What it was before was a perfect example of what a tech site should be so I can only imagine that money got in the way.

McHenryB

Admirable
There is something very, very wrong with the main site. On my computer, using Chrome, pages flicker and flash between normal size and grossly enlarged. It really makes the site unusable. Coupled with the logging out problem in the forums I can see that I'll be deleting Tom's from my bookmarks if things don't improve.

Why oh why change a perfectly good website to make it such a pain?