Overclock Refresh Rate of LG 32UD59-B?

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
Is it possible to overclock the refresh rate of this monitor? I would also like to know if I can get Nvidia G-Sync to work with this monitor? I just bought an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2.

Thank you!
Appletatoes

Solution
Fast sync works when your graphics card is pumping out more frames than your mnitor can handle.

What happens with Vsync is if your fps is over the max monitor hz the gpu halt waiting for the monitor to catchup. If vsync wasn't on, trying to jam say 90 frames a second into a monitor that can only show 60 will cause a lot of micro stutter with missing frames.

Fast sync tells the gpu to keep rendering the same frame until the monitor is ready for the next instead of gpu pausing. This reduces tearing and input lag because the gpu is still running and not stop start, stop start.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thats a Freesync monitor for Amd cards. It will still work as a standard monitor but for Gsync to work the monitor must include the chip which is not present.

I suggest using Nvidia's fast sync in Nvidia CP if you keep the monitor.

Overclocking refresh might be possible if you create a custom resoltuion and hz frequencie. I suggest increasing in 3 to 5hz intervals from native. If the monitor fails to show a picture you've past the limit so dont press the enter key when it automatically prompts you the display check message, let the timer run out.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017

Thank you boju! Couple more questions. Freesync will only work though if my FPS is 60 FPS or higher correct? If so, do you think I'll have any problems achieving 60+ FPS with a 4K monitor with my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 video card I got?

Do you have a recommended program that I should use to create custom resolution and refresh rate profiles?

Thank you very much again,
Appletatoes

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's already an option in Nvidia control panel to customise resolutions.

Im not sure you understood me so ill say it again, freesync only works on amd graphics cards not nvidia. Gsync is what you need, it is different.

I can't find the freesync range for LG32UD59-B anywhere though so couldn't tell you. Here's a list to give you an idea https://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-freesync-monitors/

1080 is a decent 4k card just dont use too much antialiasing.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
My apology I meant to say Nvidia's Fast Sync instead of FreeSync so does that mean the FPS has to be higher than the monitors refresh rate to have Nvidia's Fast Sync work?

Thank you for the rest of the information!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fast sync works when your graphics card is pumping out more frames than your mnitor can handle.

What happens with Vsync is if your fps is over the max monitor hz the gpu halt waiting for the monitor to catchup. If vsync wasn't on, trying to jam say 90 frames a second into a monitor that can only show 60 will cause a lot of micro stutter with missing frames.

Fast sync tells the gpu to keep rendering the same frame until the monitor is ready for the next instead of gpu pausing. This reduces tearing and input lag because the gpu is still running and not stop start, stop start.

Solution