Nervous about buying a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor.

Onigokko

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
So ive been in the market for a new monitor, and I really want an IPS vs TN because the picture quality is so nice, however ive heard horror stories about them. Ive been saving up for a few months for a new monitor, and I want it to be nice.

For example im very tempted to snap up this refurbished Acer one: https://acerrecertified.com/acer-predator-lcd-widescreen-monitor-27-display-wqhd-screen-ips-anti-glare/

However the fact that we have to pay for RMA makes me nervous, because I dont have a ton of money to throw around to get a good panel.

Any advice?

I'd say you should probably save a little longer. If you can't afford to RMA the monitor if it is defective, you should save until you can or a new one goes on sale. This is just a risky purchase for you because you can't afford to be wrong. Therefore the prudent/smart thing to do is wait.

Onigokko

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

I can most likely afford an RMA or two but ive heard horror stories of multiple RMAs to get a good panel with the 144hz 1440 IPS monitors

Solution

Onigokko

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
One review of the dell: Now some of you might be concerned already - a TN panel? Yep, that is exactly what I thought, but to be fair, this is no ordinary TN panel. Yes, IPS panels do have better colors out of the box but Dell has done something very special here - they have managed to give us the benefit of IPS like colors but in a TN panel.

But the real difference here is the Nvidia GSYNC and 144 hz refresh rate. I have a GTX 1080 GPU and a Core i7 6700k CPU and so in iRacing, I am able to average anywhere between 100 and 143 FPS at the triple screen resolution of 7680 X 1440, which means I get incredible visuals, that are running silky smooth.

I've seen 'em both. I went a little nuts when monitor shopping here recently. I bought neither as I wanted bigger. But the Acer had better colors than the Dell. Although many do love and recommend the Dell.

Yeah. In the end it is too big for me. I had thought to use a swing arm to move it further away when not doing detail work and closer when examining a photo or working on a large spreadsheet. I was looking at one because I wanted a specific DPI. What I really wanted is not for sale and over priced (at least the MSRP is nuts). http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

I'll wait for reviews as the text clarity on the Philips 32" I bought is so much better than any of the others I tried.

Onigokko

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Yeah I think ill end up visiting a Best Buy or Frys just to see

linkinpaak

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

I hate the Dell. I've gone through 4 exchanges since my first monitor and my first monitor was the best. 3 out of the 5 become grainy with any motion that is on the slow side (after having this on 3 out of 5 monitors, I believe this to be an inconsistency with the anti-glare coating, but I can't be sure). The other 2 have been great from the standpoint of not having this weird grainy look to it, but one had a stuck red sub-pixel (my first that I never should've sent back because in hindsight I could've easily lived with this and didn't realize the gamble I was taking by sending it back) and then another one that had a completely dead pixel not far off-center. Of course from everything I've read about all these other panels, is that it's a complete crapshoot no matter what you buy. It makes me really not want to buy anything. For PC gaming, we sit so close to the monitors that you cannot avoid finding and fixating on dead pixels. On a TV that you're sitting 10-15 feet from you would never notice a couple dead pixels.