Cannot properly shut down my pc

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
A couple of days ago I tried to turn off my pc (windows 10) and every time I tried it would say shutting down then go to the login screen. Then after trying it again I noticed that there was a message before it said shutting down that said steam servers is still running so can't shut down.

There is an option for shut down anyway but the message and option on stay on the screen for a split second, so I am forced to restart my pc, log on to ubuntu then shut down whenever using windows. I checked my task manager and nothing is running when I try and shut down.

I uninstalled steam then my pc started shutting down normally, today I resinstalled steam and the same problem is happening.

Anyone know what else I can do, since I did a clean reinstall of steam all of the options should be default, I don't know what to do?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

I'll try that next, just so I know what you are talking about, I opened to task manager and went to the details tab, there's 4 steam exe files currently running, I should try to end these then shut down?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

I have been using steam on this pc for 2 years and never logged out of steam, how can it become a problem all of a sudden?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

I ended all the steam tasks in the processes menu and my pc shut down normally, but there is something wrong if I have to do that every single time I shut down my pc? Windows 10 should know to close steam when I shut down like it always has, just like for everyone that uses steam?

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Its a good future it preventing loose your work.

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

I understand what you are saying but what I don't understand is how I have been using steam for the past 2 years on this pc and have never needed to end the steam task for my pc to shutdown properly, all of a sudden this problem shows up.

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

I am using windows 10, i don't think anyone here said anything about windows 8.1? Anyway, this just started happengin a couple of days ago and you are talking about an update from december of last year, 11 months ago.