Pc is stuck in sleep mode

Fer DLC

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017
My nephew put his pc in sleep mode but now the power button is just blinking ane it won't turn back on. He tried pressing the restart button and power button, but nothing. What could be the issue? Thanks

Solution
If the PC is in any sort of suspend to RAM form of sleep, anything that was open before entering sleep will be closed, including any unsaved documents, etc. in any software that was running, so there is a slight possibility of data loss, but only with open documents. Other than that, I pretty much concur with everything Karadjgne has said. Your son will probably know if there was anything significant open before pulling the plug.

On the other hand, if the PC won't wake, there isn't much he can do about it anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some older psus are group regulated and don't respond to the ultra low power levels of deep sleep modes (C-states) below C-3 on Haswell or newer Intel cpu's. Most bios have a sleep setting or in Windows power settings under advanced settings this can be changed, not to allow sleep below C-3.

For now, just pull the plug and count to 10. Then reinstall. That'll reset the psu. Then go into bios/windows power settings and make the changes. I'd also make sure hybrid sleep / hibernation is OFF.

You can also change the power button setting, to turn off/reset/sleep as desired for future usage.

Fer DLC

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017
Isn't it bad to unplug the pc though while it's still on? Even if in sleep mode? Its not my pc so i don't really want to tell him to do something that might just break his pc, just Making sure

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. It's fine to unplug, the main reason for fear being with any power loss is spiking, which doesn't happen with unplugs. Some psu's have a switch in back that'd work the same. And it's not like you run the risk of loosing or corrupting data, the pc is asleep.

Have you tried pushing and holding the power button for @6+ seconds yet? Forgot to ask.

Fer DLC

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017

Yes he held it for 10 seconds and nothing happened still. Thanks for the help though, i will tell him to try unplugging.

If the PC is in any sort of suspend to RAM form of sleep, anything that was open before entering sleep will be closed, including any unsaved documents, etc. in any software that was running, so there is a slight possibility of data loss, but only with open documents. Other than that, I pretty much concur with everything Karadjgne has said. Your son will probably know if there was anything significant open before pulling the plug.

On the other hand, if the PC won't wake, there isn't much he can do about it anyway.

Solution