New I3 8100 Coffee Lake system crashes during windows install

cj133

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Just put together a new system and it's behaving pretty bad.
All seemed to go well, other than an odd "on, off, back on" behavior when you first start the system but I'm assuming it's normal for this motherboard, but don't know for sure.

The system blue screens during windows 10 install. I've pulled the video card out, the 4TB HDD and half of the ram. Once it continued to blue screen I swapped the single DIMM in hopes maybe I had a bad one, but still no go.

Had the bios check for updates and it says it's up to date.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform Memory Kit Model F4-3000C15D-16GVKB

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 06G-P4-6163-KR, 6GB GDDR5

SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal SSD

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular

Intel Core i3-8100 Coffee Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I38100

4TB WD Blue drive which I don't have the exact info handy.

I'm using the OEM heatsink with the processor.

It blue screens at different parts of the install, sometimes at the first menu, sometimes while it's installing but it's never made it through. Pushing on the motherboard and moving things appears to have no effect on anything. I've pulled the ram a few times but have not touched the processor since the initial install.

cj133

Reputable
May 15, 2015

The blue drive is for pictures etc only.

I ran memtest 3 times with zero errors. I can try to recreate the windows media but it just restarted it self 3 times in a row trying to install Ubuntu. I also noticed my USB keyboard locks up and stays frozen until I actually turn the system off.

I wonder if I should try to hook a DVD drive up to install? Maybe it's not liking installing from a thumb drive?

If you have an external or spare DVD drive it may be worth a try, if it fails to install windows and linux it may be a motherboard issue. if it works with a dvd but not a usb drive, it may be the thumbstick itself or something messed up with the usb on the mobo.

Also double check your mobo manual, one of the sata ports is disabled when you put in an m.2 drive.
It could possibly also be the ram is too fast for the CPU. Even if the mobo supports it, the CPU might not. Non OCing CPUs don't normally like OC'd ram. (so you'd want to try a 2133 kit) at least until you can upgrade the bios.

Like just buy a stick to see if it can install windows (and is kinda useful for troubleshooting ram issues in the future) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231957

cj133

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Thank you all for the replies
Ram is running at 2133.

I'll check the sata connector but I pulled the 4tb drive and nothing changed

installing Ubuntu it just restarts and win 10 bluescreens.

Is there any reason to pull the cooler and reseat the processor?

reseating the processor won't really do anything, it reaches the BIOS so.... it sounds like the problem occurs after that.

If windows install is actually blue screening it should be giving you an error message about why.
What's it say?

cj133

Reputable
May 15, 2015

That's a very good question, I don't remember and I just pulled the entire thing apart to get to the NVME which is mounted to the bottom of the motherboard. It's the only thing I didn't try it without yet. Sadly, I'm spent and heading to bed.

All I remember is the typical modern bluescreen with the big frown and a QR code but I didn't pay attention to it. Ubuntu just goes blank and restarts during the install. The windows installer crashes at different points, sometimes as soon as it starts, sometimes while installing files etc.

If / when I get it back together to test, I'll try to get a picture of the bluesceen. All I remember is something along the lines of an error occurred and the computer is going to restart, but that's useless.

Meanwhile my hurting I5 750 system is still working, but getting worse, I put building a new system off way too long. :(

Have guys had many bad motherboards out of the box? I've bricked a few boards trying to update the bios, but that was a long long time ago. I think the last time that happened was an MSI board back in 2003. I don't think I've ever had an actual flaky new board.

themadgrenadier

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Newegg's tech support RMA'd the motherboard and because they were out of stock I bought the cheaper non-gaming ITX board. The pins on the original board looked perfect when I pulled the processor.

No change, still blue screens although I have noticed a few odd things.

First, it seems as if as it gets warmer, things improve. It bluescreens immediately the first time, not as soon the next etc.

After multiple attempts I got Windows 10 to install and then it gets even weirder.

It'll run Prime95 no problem at all, but unzipping a file is rough.

I feel like I'm in bizzaro land or something.

The main error I get is WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. The other is MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

How can a computer run Memtest86 for multiple loops fine, and even Prime95 fine and not perform normal, every day tasks like opening Facebook!?!?

And, I just noticed I posted under a different account some how, I think I signed in under Facebook last time or something. I'm the OP.

As it was suggested you may have a faulty cpu, rma the cpu. One last thing to try before you rma the cpu, check bios update again and update the the bios, see if solves anything, if no new version appeared then rma de cpu.