Is 4 Cores 4 Threads Enough?

eaterofworlds12340

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Is 4 Cores 4 Threads enough for 720p-1080p low to meduim settings in 2017? I'm planning on buying a Ryzen 3 1300X a solid CPU, but when I was on Newegg it said 4 Cores and 4 Threads, so no hyper threading? Is it necessary with a 1050ti to have hyper threading? Or is 4 cores without hyper threading fine?

It greatly depends on what games you're playing. If you want to shoot for framerates higher than 60FPS in Battlefield 1 multiplayer, you need more than 4 threads. If you want a consistent 60FPS in heavily populated areas of Ubisoft's latest open world titles eg. Watch Dogs 2 and Assassin's Creed Origins, you need more than 4 threads.

Most games still run fine at 60FPS with only 4 threads, and most of the time you will be limited more by the GTX 1050Ti, but in the long term having only 4 CPU threads may become a limiting factor, so you may be looking at a CPU upgrade in the relatively near future if you do go for a 4 threaded CPU.

eaterofworlds12340

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Thank you very much, I have bought the system and runs great. Has some problems with pubg but Overwatch and World of Warcraft run great. I plan on upgrading, this was a starting place.

PUBG is a horribly optimized mess that doesn't run well even on really high end hardware, so I wouldn't be all that concerned if performance in that game isn't great.