MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming X Crashing PC When Gaming

h4mmy86

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Howdy, folks!

This graphics card crashes my PC on every game/benchmark to a blue/black/brown/gray/white screen (depending on what's on screen) and glitches the audio to a looping stutter, but my old GTX 770 runs flawlessly. I've tried everything I know to do and nothing corrects the error, although I can sometimes delay it slightly with underclocking or undervolting. The only other thing I can guess is that my PC isn't compatible with this card for some reason. Below are my PC specs, if someone would be kind enough to look over my set-up and let me know if it is compatible or not, I'd be very appreciative. If my pc is compatible and you'd like to offer further assistance in diagnosing the problem I can happily provide GPU-Z or Afterburner log files and I will do my best to provide any additional information upon request.

PSU: Raidmax RX-730SS
MOBO: ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
PCI: M-Audio Delta 44
SSD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 2.5" 120GB
HDD: HGST Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723020ALA640 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA (Plus one old HDD used for junk)

Thanks,
Hammy

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

raidmax, i would not trust them to run toasters

h4mmy86

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
raidmax, i would not trust them to run toasters
I was waiting for that. I also tested with a lower watt EVGA PSU. 480w maybe? No luck. Also tried plugging another system's PSU into the card to take stress off of my raidmax, still no luck.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

all motherboard drivers/bios up to date?

do you monitor cpu temps?

h4mmy86

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Driver/BIOS are up to date
CPU temps are well within reason (Sorry, I can't pull the log right now to give you an exact number, but I assure you they are within a stable range)

jagadish1989

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

buddy same problem with me i need help too on the same thing

Sep 15, 2018

I had exactly the same problem on a Gigabyte RX 480 8gb Gaming G1 GPU.
I had to upgrade my PSU. Even then, I still undervolt it to be on the safe side.
I got a Corsair RM550x to replace a Thermaltake Toughpower PSU.

Seriously - Upgrade the PSU before the GPU dies. I got a warning with mine from my ASUS mobo about my 'unstable' power supply, which the PC store person then told me was a fault with my motherboard. (it wasn't actually, he just wanted to sell me something more expensive)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue, but I hope for both our sakes that it is fixed soon.

jagadish1989

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

was ur thermaltake 80+ bronze
cuz one of my friend says if ur psu not 80+ u will have such problems

Sep 15, 2018

The Thermaltake was 80+ Gold.
Just avoid Thermaltake power supplies