Have to close game to hear sound

Fer DLC

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017
Whenever i play a game and have the sound go through the monitor and then later on i decide to use my headphones, the sound won't go through them unless i close the game and relaunch it. Is there some setting in windows 10 that causes this to happen or something? I want to just be able to plug in my headphones while my game is playing and have the sound go through automatically without having to close anything. Thanks

Solution
I'm assuming you are plugging headphones into the back/front of the pc while sound is being played through the monitor? If so, it might not be possible for that to work.
You could try minimizing the game and make sure there is no sounds active and then try switching.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
I'm assuming you are plugging headphones into the back/front of the pc while sound is being played through the monitor? If so, it might not be possible for that to work.
You could try minimizing the game and make sure there is no sounds active and then try switching.

Solution

Fer DLC

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017

Yes while the sound is being played through the monitor, i plug in my headphones to the pc. Alright though, that kinda sucks that I can't do anything about but its fine, Thank you for the answer.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Unless the game has it's own audio source selector in settings, which most don't, the audio is played through the windows default device, once the audio source changes it usually kills sound that's playing through the original device even if you switch back to that audio source.

The only way around it, that i know of, is if you plug your headphones into your monitor, if it has a headphone jack.