ASUS laptop won't boot into Windows after BIOS update

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi all,

I have a ASUS UX310UAK laptop (UX310UA-FB485T), there was recently a new BIOS released for my unit which I have updated to. This is from .203 to .306.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX310UA/HelpDesk_Download/

Unfortunately when updating to the .306 BIOS, I can no longer boot into Windows, the ASUS BIOS does not have any HDD listed under Boot Priority.

I have tried to disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot, still no luck.

ASUS say nothing is wrong with there BIOS release.

Any advice?

PS: I'm able to just update back to .203 in order to get my Laptop working but I should be able to have the .306 BIOS working.

Does it allow you to select a boot disk? When you do a bios update all old settings are erased. That includes the boot disk and or boot order. Check if you can manually add it.

You could also try disabling CSM if the new bios has the option.

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Tried to reset BIOS settings to defaults, doesn't work, also disabled CSM, nothing either.

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

It's empty, normally when doing Add New Boot option you'll have some options presented to you, but over here it's completely empty. If only there was someone else with the same unit that can test the BIOS.

Do I maybe have to convert my HDD from MBR to GPT? I dunno what this new BIOS file does but it doesn't like my SSD when installed.

Na bios doesnt care much if it MBR or GPT. Most its only about hardware connection. You may have disconnect the HD then start into bios. Shutdown and reconnect the drive and re-enter bios. Also I see an F7 advanced mode option. See if it lets you see the drive.

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Another small test I've performed is with the new BIOS 306 and not booting into Windows. I'm trying to re-install Windows 10, so I boot into the installation, it can see my disk (SSD) all fine but there's a warning on the partition, it says.

'This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'

Wouldn't help. The bios seeing your drive has nothing to do with how its formated. Fact is the bios should see a drive with no formatting. That fix is for drive just not booting. Not a drive the bios doesnt recognize.

Did F7 get you any options?

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

There was a SATA Controller option, this was set to AHCI and no other options available so I suppose that's the ideal setting.

ASUS want to take my unit in, but seems like such a waste of time, surely they should be able to give some advice on how to get it working with there new BIOS update.

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I think that's the same as secure boot which has already been tested enabled and disabled.

DiNZi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Problem solved, never come across this before but it seems like when Windows was installed it was as MBR. Disk needs to be GPT, seems like as GPT it creates some other partitions in comparison to MBR.

I've tested and backward tested this, by using Rufus grab Windows 10 ISO, create installation USB using MBR partition scheme and using GPT partition scheme. MBR partition scheme does not like ASUS latest BIOS but GPT works perfectly, even with Fast Boot on, Secure Boot Control on.

Hajah

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Hi,
Just letting you know that after reading many posts everywhere, and wasting many hours of frustration, your solution of using GPT partition on the install media, without worrying with BIOS settings and/or HDD partitions, saved my day(s).