Pentium 4 3.4 ghz performance

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
If I took a 3.4 ghz socket 478 pentium 4, paired it with 4 gb ddr and with a video card like a hd 3650, and overclocked the cpu to the max, how well could it do modern tasks, like gaming and browsing the web?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How modern are we talking? It wouldn't be adequate for the majority of AAA titles that have been released in the last few years, the CPU isn't fast enough and the GPU might not even have the features to run some games.

Web browsing would vary. I know some advertisements use a horrendous amount of compute power. With a good adblocker maybe.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
I was talking about recent games that are pretty well optimized, like war thunder. I was able to run war thunder on an athlon 64 3800+ at like 30 fps, so I was just wondering how it would perform.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I believe the Pentium you are thinking of is actually considered to be slower than an 3800+. The Pentium was a single core with hyperthreading. The Athlon was an actual dual core.

Unless you are on the strictest of budgets, it is quite easy to get a used office PC that is many times faster than either.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't even think I have any way of looking up the relative performance of the original athlon 3800 or the Pentium, aside from old pcmark charts and they aren't detailed enough to give a sense of capabilities. Both are so outdated that my only suggestion would be to use Youtube and see if anyone has tried. I would say anything before the core series is probably not worth using.

The comment about an office PC isn't for doing work, it is that you can get such things very cheaply. So if you were putting together a computer for any purpose from spare parts and you had any money available, it would be more advantageous to purchase such a computer as the base platform in place of using an outdated one. An entire second or third gen i5 computer can be purchased for less than $200.

The only Pentium H/T I have in my possession is unable to even install Window 8.1 or 10. So the writing is certainly on the wall there. It was okay for browsing through most common web pages. Retired in favor of an i3-4150 all-in-one when the vendor dropped support for Windows 7.

Gaetano77

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
If you install a good adblocker extension in the browser (such as UBLOCK ORIGIN), this PC would be acceptable for basic web browsing (only few tabs opened) and streaming videos in low-middle resolution (up to 480p).

VGA you are thinking (AMD HD3650), is slow and too old to support feauters of most modern games, because it is based on outdated DirectX 10.1 libraries.

I confirm that Pentium 4 CPUs (socket 478) are unable to install Windows 8/8.1/10 because lack of support of NX instruction; the only (modern) Microsoft operating system you can install, is Windows 7 32-bit.