Electrical engineering degree (4 years) or Electrical technician degree (2 years)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I am currently in school for an electrical engineering degree at a 2 year school, which i will then transfer to a university for the last two years.

It has just come to my attention that I will have to pay $52,000 just for two years at the university ASSUMING that i pass all the classes the first time around. some classes are only available one semester of the year, and failing one could set me back a whole year ($7000 of more tuition PLUS the cost of the same class again). I feel like i am taking a big risk here if i continue with the 4 year degree. I am already about half way done and will transfer there fall of next year should i continue. Of course I would have to take out a federal subsidized student loan.

On the other hand, I could switch to the two year technician degree and finish by the end of next year, find a job, and they will pay for my schooling to get my BA from there, but i will only be able to take a class or two a semester and it could take anywhere from 5-8 years to get my BA that way. BUT i wont have to pay for a dime of the 52k that way. Following this path would give me an upper hand since i would have so much experience, so once i got the BA and applied for an appropriate position, I would be pretty valuable compared to other applicants.

So should I stick with the 4 year plan, or switch to the 2 year technician degree and get my BA in 5-8 years from graduation?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my current progress in the 4 year degree will still carry over later

Solution
I agree with vapour. Go for the completion of the 4 year program.

If you leave with just the 2 year technician degree there is a very good chance that you may not be able to get back to school. Life happens.

Would be great if your employer would finance the costs over 5-8 years. However, things change and as a junior tech you may (through no fault of your own) find yourself suddenly unemployed sans any benefits.

How locked in are you to the $52K University? Do you have other university's to chose from? Maybe less costly....

Maybe some of your classes can be taken online - had a family member do that via a Mechanical Engineering program. Attended and lived at a State level university but many of the upper level classes were...

Ralston18

Titan
I agree with vapour. Go for the completion of the 4 year program.

If you leave with just the 2 year technician degree there is a very good chance that you may not be able to get back to school. Life happens.

Would be great if your employer would finance the costs over 5-8 years. However, things change and as a junior tech you may (through no fault of your own) find yourself suddenly unemployed sans any benefits.

How locked in are you to the $52K University? Do you have other university's to chose from? Maybe less costly....

Maybe some of your classes can be taken online - had a family member do that via a Mechanical Engineering program. Attended and lived at a State level university but many of the upper level classes were televised via a full blown University. A joint program that resulted in a ME degree from the full University. Do remember some summer classes on the full University campus - weekends usually.

Delve into financing options - lots going on in the student loan world as of late. Mainly because the student loan programs took advantage of folks with such things as preventing borrowers to refinance the loans at lower rates.....

In any case, stay the course. Get the 4 year degree. Try to work summers via internships etc.. May get you a "foot in the door" somewhere. Or otherwise open additional opportunities.

Solution

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016

Thanks for the advice. And yes I am pretty stuck with the $52k university because I am in a transfer program from Delaware Tech to University of Delaware.

Ralston18

Titan
Hang in there. Good University.

Have a "in-law" relative (couple of steps involved) at University of Delaware. ME program.

Had another family member that almost went there. She is the one who went to a State University and ended up with the ME from University of Maryland.

Make the sacrifices, work hard, all will turn out okay. Best wishes to you.

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016

thank you so much, man. Definitely think I am going with the 4 year. Despite the fact the all my advisors are telling me to take the 2 year. I think they are saying that because I performed poorly for Physics and calc 2 and my GPA as a result is 2.6. I think I failed those classes like 3 times each. But I am working harder and I am passed physics (which I am just really bad at no matter how hard I work) so I think I can do it.

Ralston18

Titan
Take advantage of every tutorial opportunity available.

Find out the "why" of being "bad at". Math perhaps.....

Unfortunately, many advisors are very much over-worked.

And GPA is (and should not be) the measurement of "success". Anyone's GPA would drop if given really and truly hard tests.

There was a time, long ago, when I would matched my "C" students against another instructor's "A" students.

I think you are recognizing your weak points - charge into them. Fight!

Be yourself and do what you want you want to do. Even if trying and trying. Find your "hover".

Status
Not open for further replies.