Upgrading car stereo

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Hey all,

I wish to get a whole new system for my Mazda Lantis 323, year 2002. The thing is I got no clue about car audio.

It is a cheap old car, so I don't mean to go all the way with an unrestricted amount of money to spend. Trying to get the most I can in a tight as possible budget.

I was thinking of pairing a Pioneer mvh-290bt head unit with some good quality component speakers. I don't know which size and model should I get. Obviously I wish to get the best sound quality and clean sound with a good bass response I can. Is an amp a must in a setup like this?
I don't think I need a subwoofer on top of that, Just want to enjoy music as I got which is not very much possible right now....

Plus, I'd like to have a new antenna for better signal and a more compact one. Any suggestions in this manner?

thank you for your time and attention folks, have a nice one:))

Hi, I did it two years ago (different car model, though) and I'll just share some ideas from my experience:
-when selecting the unit, take care to the available room in the dash (measure the size of the original one) and check the connector, if standard, or adapter needed.
Check also the Mazda forums.
-same for speakers. Size is important, to match the available space, otherwise you might have a hard time to install them.
I went with Alpine CDE-177BT, Hertz ecx100.5 front and Hertz ecx 165.5 rear.
Sound is ok, but a sub would add value.

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
I was thinking about getting a couple of coaxial instead of component, cheaper price and less power is needed?!

for the time being I just want to get a couple of front speaker and see how this works out, thanks for the advice though....