Reinstalled Realtek HD Audio Driver: Poor sound quality

qarmatia

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Hi guys,

So my Asus laptop started running unbearably slow the other day. Frustrated me to the point where I just decided to reset Windows 10 (while keeping the files) and be done with it. It gave me a list of all the apps that would be removed in the process and it never mentioned Audio drivers but when it was finally done, sound was being produced but it wouldn't recognise any headphones I plugged in and would just blare music from the speakers.

I assumed this was a driver issue so I headed to the ASUS site and downloaded Realtek HD. It eventually installed but the sound quality was extremely poor. It sounds almost metallic or hollow. It also didn't install audio manager along with it, which I definitely had prior to the reset. All I have is Audio Wizard, which I tried messing around with but to no avail.

I have no idea whats going on but I feel like the driver somehow isn't compatible with my settings, as it works very differently from what I had before. No Audio-manager, poor sound quality, even the little speaker symbol on the bottom right hand side is different. Plugging in headphones used to prompt audio-manager to appear but not anymore (I'm not sure if these details are all that relevant).

Maybe one of the apps it removed during the reset was necessary for the functioning of the driver. I have no idea.

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me out.

Solution
Resets often equate to reinstalling your OS from scratch after you've recreated your bootable USB installer. You might also want to see if your laptop has any pending BIOS updates. On another note, please try and see if a repair install changes anything for you.