PC with small SSD, large HDD. How to update to larger SSD

neckabovethedrink

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Have Windows 10 PC w 128GB SSD, 1TB HD.
SSD often full as programs do not respect my wishes where to install or store.
Want to use this PC for at 3 more years for games, work etc.

Thinking about larger SSD, could not find instruction how to update in this situation.
My thoughts:
All on on large 1TB SSD?
or
Install larger SSD (500GB or 1TB) and leave HD in place?

What is easier? What makes sense? Instructions anywhere? I am not that experienced. Doable?
Not interested in specific hardware recommendations if they are not pertinent to the problem (i.e. easier transfer tools)
Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
128GB is difficult to manage - 250GB should really be the minimum aim, and is more budget friendly.

A larger (250-500GB) SSD, paired with an HDD makes the most 'sense' when considering budget.

You could either:
1. Clone the smaller (128GB) SSD to a larger drive, then expand the partition
OR
2. Clean install your OS, reinstall programs and migrate back data.

Either route is relatively simple, provided you take your time - don't go formatting a drive until you're 100% sure everything is where it needs to be etc.

Depending on the SSD you purchase; some come with cloning utilities. There are free options like http://clonezilla.org/ or free/paid options like True Image.

Personally, I generally avoid the cloning route and reinstall my OS. Better to start from scratch IMO, especially if you're having difficulties managing where certain programs etc are installed.

mcmahoon12

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
It's not cost-effective to use only an SSD when you look at cost per GB compared to HDD. Also, unlike operating systems, programs, and games, things like music, movies, and pictures don't really benefit from being stored on an SSD. If you don't have plans on accumulating a lot of music, movie or pictures, then I don't see a problem with putting everything on an SSD while using an external for back up purposes.