Curious on 720p HDMI displays and graphics cards.

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
So I think I've ran into a big snag here. While doing research on a graphics card I realized that I can no longer use my VGA monitor that I've had for years and years (over 12). The EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 3GB card just doesn't support it. It does however have HDMI outputs on it, and I currently have a smaller 19" TV with HDMI with a 720p display. Will this work or do I have to buy a 1080p monitor?

This is the little TV I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN19D4003-19-Inch-Black-MODEL/dp/B004VRJ3FQ

If I can use it, then I don't have to sacrifice parts of my build. If not, then I have to shave off about 100 bucks in order to fit a monitor. I do prefer to game at 720p more so because of graphics performance. Can get more detail without having to go overkill on a GPU.

Solution
A HDMI cable would work fine. Also if you want better graphics above your monitors resolution then you can utilize Nvidia DSR, it increases the resolution then scales it back to your monitors resolution to make the game look better.

WildCard999

Titan
A HDMI cable would work fine. Also if you want better graphics above your monitors resolution then you can utilize Nvidia DSR, it increases the resolution then scales it back to your monitors resolution to make the game look better.

Solution

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

I've seen a lot of benmarks and gameplay with the 1060 on high setting at 1080p, and the minimums on some games (the ones I particularly like) are right at the 50's. I'm looking for consistently over 60, and at 720p gaming I can do just that with the 1060 on high settings.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Lots of benchmarks just use max settings, which can be a bit much for a 1060 3GB to maintain 60fps me minimum at 1080p, especially if it starts running out of VRAM. I'm guessing you could achieve that with some smart tweaking of a few settings. You could start with turning down AA a bit, as you'll already have less aliasing at 1080p compared to 720p to begin with.

But if you'd prefer to play at 720p, that's obviously up to you.

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

I didn't realize that about 1080 with AA... I've been playing 720p for years and years, so I'm just used to playing games at that resolution and making everything work with it. This will also be the first computer build I'll have that actually has a processor that is worth anything, lol. I'm currently using an Intel Core 2CPU 6420 at 2.1 Gh with a Radeon 5850 HD. My new build is going to use the Ryzen 5 1600, which is going to be a huge boost in processor. The idea is to OC it to 3.7 Gh. Am I worrying about 1080p for no reason then?

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
What I find entertaining is that all the videos I've watched when benchmarking the 1060 3Gb card all say that games become unplayable at 30 fps and under. I've been used to 20 fps for years, lol. I have over 600 hours into Dayz with my intel system, and sometimes getting lucky in a server to get 16 fps. Cracked me up when a lot of people are saying 30 is unplayable.

Then again this new build may spoil me, and I'll finally see why "anything less than 30" makes sense to them.