Partition unallocated after win10 Fall update

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
One of my 2 partitions on a 4tb hd is showing as unallocated in disk management. I don't know how to recover that data from that partition. Right clicking on it has grayed option for simple, spanned and striped volume. I can access properties and events tab shows a migration occurred at the time of win 10 fall creators update I did today.

On the other partition I can access everything normally. Should I extend volume, will that delete the missing partition data? Or can I extend and not format which will save the data?

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I tried the EaseUS program and it also shows as unallocated space. But the partition recovery wizard does not identify this 1.64 TB of unallocated to be available to be selected to continue the wizard.

Disregarding the unallocated disk-space, are you absolutely certain there's missing data on that 4 TB HDD. It appears that the drive may have been converted to MBR from GPT. You're certain this drive was originally partitioned with the GPT-partitioning scheme prior to installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators update? Could you check its partitioning scheme in Disk Management?

And can we assume you updated your BOOT drive containing the Win 10 OS with the Fall Creators update and is it possible the 4 TB HDD is NOT your boot drive; rather it serves as a SECONDARY drive in the system? Or does it also serve as the boot drive?

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

The second partition does have data, nearly 1tb.
Properties of the drive show mbr partition style. I don't remember how I did it originally and I would have used available forum guides from Toms maybe 5 years ago and took their advice.
My boot drive is a smaller 1.5tb drive I label c:
The 4tb is not my boot drive and I assume called my secondary, and is labeled 1st partition e: which I have access. But the second partition labeled f: is what is missing.
Under events tab of drive it says device migrated with today's date when I updated.
So I'm in mbr, can I convert to gbt?
Thanks

1. There should be no problem converting that secondary 4 TB HDD from MBR to GPT using virtually any freely-available partition management program (AOMEI, EaseUS, MiniTool, etc.). They generally all contain that capability and the operation is fairly straightforward.

(While your Win 10 OS contains the MBR2GPT tool, we've not been able to reliably utilize that program to convert a SECONDARY drive that does not contain an OS. Strangely enough, we've been able to convert a secondary drive from MBR to GPT using that "tool" when the drive DOES contain an OS (even though it's not functioning as the boot drive), but it hasn't worked reliably. (Don't ask me why!)

2. But while you shouldn't experience any difficulties using that 3rd party program mentioned in 1. above... UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING...
A. First of all, before employing the program, IT'S A VERY GOOD IDEA to FIRST clone the present contents of the drive to another drive. This is a major conversion process that the p. m. program is undertaking and as we all have learned from previous bitter experience "s*@t" happens! Capiche? So we ALWAYS undertake a disk-cloning operation before employing a major change in the configuration of a drive. So if worse comes to worse and you're left with a corrupt dysfunctional drive you have the wherewithal to return its configuration/contents to its prior state. Are you with me?

B. The fact that the conversion process is successful and your 4 TB HDD is now GPT-partitioned and its full disk-space capacity can be accessed...IN NO WAY WILL THIS PROCESS RETURN ANY DATA PREVIOUSLY LOST. I trust you understand that.

Are you confirming that your 4 TB HDD no longer contains data that was previously present?

If that's what you mean you can try using one of the so-called "data recovery" programs available on the net. I can't recommend any particular one; it's something of a crapshoot as to whether you'll be able to recover lost data. Here's a website that lists various programs together with their websites...https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893

If the data is important enough for you to recover my recommendation is to engage a commercial data recovery service. As you can imagine this is usually a very expensive proposition and results are not generally guaranteed.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I've decided the data is not important enough to recover. I'd prefer to just have access to the unallocated space, how do I do that? When I right click on it I can't find a way to enable it. Thanks for your help.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Crazy thing is now my primary drive with win10 is saying it has more capacity available than it does. It's like it thinks it took over the unallocated on another physical disc. Funny