How To Fix Windows 10 Unsupported Disk Layout UEFI Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
In video you create 16mb partition. In step-by-step tutorial you say it should be 128mb (as recommended by Micro$oft).
From where do you take that space (usually partitions tend to occupy all space available on disk)?

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Don't you need to shrink one of the existing partitions first? And is there a restriction on where this partition can be? I know the UEFI partition has to be in the first 2 TiB of the disk.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

16 MB is the default partition size for the MSR, while 128 MB is the recommended size for drives over 16GB. Partitions do not take up the whole space of a drive. They are a part of a drive, a segment if you will. This space needs to be reserved for Windows installations and recovery. This method allows you to re-partition your hard drive without erasing the data entirely. You can find out more about MSR and UEFI hard drive partitioning from this article on Microsoft's support site.

popatim

Titan
What cjmcgee is saying is that users do not typically leave any free space when partitioning a drive.

You guys 'took the easy way out' by using a 60gb drive with only 34.5GB of space used by partitions. Ie- your tutorial is rather pointless in the real world.

My question is why anyone makes a single partition for 10 considering every upgrade runs into this issue since it default looks for a separate partition. It was a pain with Windows 7 and 8.1 to 10 upgrades because 7 only had a 100MB partition so it needed to be expanded and 8.1 also sometimes had a smaller partition.

Our image for 10 here at work is a single partition and I am not a fan of it especially when it comes to upgrading Windows 10.

And you are correct as a normal drive would need to have the partition shrunk them re-allocated before this would work.

popatim

Titan
I did not sday users only use a single partition. Windows install defaults to at least two and more if you use uEFI (up to 5 in default mode).

What i'm saying is most people do not have empty space on there drive to simply just add another partition. I know I don't and windows defaults to assigning the remainder of the drive as C: with maybe a couple of mb left on the end that it couldn't use. So unless you altered partitions durinig install or purposly shrunk C: afterwards, I don't see how this applies to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.