Solved

Monitors turned off for a second then came back on and dont know what could cause this

my monitors turned off for just about 1 second and i hear a windows noise then it came back on. At the time i was watching a saved twitch stream and browsing reddit on my other monitor.
After it happened all open programs were put on my first monitor and the stream had gone back to the start.

Would also like to note that im a heavy multitasker and often have lots of chrome tabs and other programs open. (and did have a bunch of tabs open when this happened)

This is the first time this has ever happened but i know my cpu isnt doing well recently (its old, runs like shit and will likely not last much longer) but looking around hasnt given me very good answers of what could cause this.

I'd like to know if this could be a product of my dying processor (and how likely is it if possible?) or does this mean i may have to look out for even more stuff to fix in my pc when i soon get new parts? (ill be a getting a new cpu, motherboard and new ddr4 ram at some point)

will update if this happens again

specs:
motherboard: Z97-P
gpu: Asus strix GTX 970
cpu: Intel core i5-4460 3.20GHz quadcore
psu: 750 Watt
ram: 16GB
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitors turned back dont
  1. Most likely it is a hard drive cluttered with crap and needs to be formatted and Windows reinstalled. CPUs rarely die and they dont die incrementally. Could also be a poor PSU since you dont have the make and model listed.
  2. vrumor said:
    Most likely it is a hard drive cluttered with crap and needs to be formatted and Windows reinstalled. CPUs rarely die and they dont die incrementally. Could also be a poor PSU since you dont have the make and model listed.

my psu has been working with no problem for several years without any problems so it would surprise me if it was the culprit (dont have the info on it cause i'd have to get it out of my pc to see it)

i was mostly afraid of this possibly being a gpu problem but you wouldnt think that to be the case?

how important would it be to format my drive/drives and reinstall windows? i have an SSD and a 2TB hard drive would i have to format both of them?
  3. Best answer
    I dont have any clue what is wrong with your PC, that is what troubleshooting is. You start somewhere and start eliminating things. First id start with finding out what PSU you own. A faulty PSU can give very odd symptoms. You can also test 1 RAM stick at a time. With it switching off like that id think that was a hardware issue somewhere, with it running "like shit" id reformat and reinstall Windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Hardware Monitors CPUs