Getting Rid of CRT Monitor

TopsyTriceratops

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Hello, everyone! Back again with a new problem. There's this old CRT monitor I have, and my folks want to just trash it or give it away for free. I wanted to give it a shot and sell it, because I feel like it'd be a huge waste to just throw to the street. Looking on Craigslist and Ebay gives me little hope as most aren't being sold or bid on. It still works, and I didn't know of any good, legit sites that would either buy it or have me sell the monitor to others on the site. My dad told me CRT is basically no good and its better to just toss it, but I keep thinking there's some people who like vintage technology out there somewhere. Anyone got any pointers?

Solution
A couple years ago, our local Best Buy would recycle CRT monitors at a cost of $25 (cash), but they would give you a $25 Best Buy Gift Card at the end of the process. In other words, you couldn't use the gift card to pay the recycling fee. I don't know if they still do that.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
A couple years ago, our local Best Buy would recycle CRT monitors at a cost of $25 (cash), but they would give you a $25 Best Buy Gift Card at the end of the process. In other words, you couldn't use the gift card to pay the recycling fee. I don't know if they still do that.

-Wolf sends

Solution

barnkeeper

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I disagree with the replies I've seen for this msg. I searched for MONTHS to find a Philips CRT monitor to replace the one that finally died on me after so many years of constant use. In my search for a replacement, I found that some computer repair shops use the old monitors to test repaired computers, printers, etc. so you might find a home for yours there. I found a company that buys unused old equipment (normally new) and so I paid $149.00 for a brand new - unopened in the box - CRT monitor that was made in the 1990. I wanted it because the screen images are not pixelated (no rough edges) and the colors are true and crisp unlike the crappy monitors available now. I do a lot of text editing on my computer and I require a very good image. Many modern monitors are okay with images, but they cannot compare to a CRT for displaying text. So if you have a good CRT to sell, advertise it locally on Craigs List or any of the forums and someone who is sick and tired of the 'cheap' monitors produced now will be happy to buy yours. I would like to have another on the floor ready to use in the future, but the shipping charges on these heavy monitors is why you'll need to sell yours locally.