Reinstalling Windows Help

bepislca

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
My brother accidentally got a virus on my computer, so he reset it and now I get the message “Operating system wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system. Press Contorl Alt Delete to restart. Thing is, my computer case has the code for windows 10 activation on it and I can’t put my code in because I keep getting this message. Any help?

Solution
If you only have the one hard drive in the computer, that would be the one that has the operating system on it, so you want to leave that connected. What you can do is use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create new install media (either DVD or USB) of your current operating system and use that to reinstall Windows.

Since Windows 10 was on this computer previously, it should automatically activate once installed

Note If you were running Windows 10 Home 32-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Home 32-bit.
If you were running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
If you were running Windows 10 Pro 32-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Pro...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Did you do what it told you to do? If you have multiple hard drives in your computer, shut it down and disconnect the power. Then disconnect all hard drives but the one that has the OS installed on it and reboot. If you still get that error message, then you will need to try and repair or reinstall the OS.

-Wolf sends

bepislca

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
@Wolfshadw How would I go about doing that? I only have one hard drive and when I disconnected it, it said the same error. I have Windows 10 on a different computer, would I be able to transfer it to my current one?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you only have the one hard drive in the computer, that would be the one that has the operating system on it, so you want to leave that connected. What you can do is use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create new install media (either DVD or USB) of your current operating system and use that to reinstall Windows.

Since Windows 10 was on this computer previously, it should automatically activate once installed

Note If you were running Windows 10 Home 32-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Home 32-bit.
If you were running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
If you were running Windows 10 Pro 32-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Pro 32-bit.
If you were running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. you will need to download and install Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

-Wolf sends

Solution