FPS Capped/Stuck at 30 or 60 FPS in Borderless Games Windows 10

Soulreaper005

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
I recently upgraded my Windows 10 Home 64-Bit to Windows 10 Enterprise 64-Bit. This was a clean install and it wasn't actually an "upgrade" i just changed OS's. After the new OS, I was playing my usual games that I was playing before (Call Of Duty: WWII, H1Z1, PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, Counter Strike, Rocket League), and everything was fine for about the first week. Then I launched COD: WWII and I was having input lag with my mouse, So i checked to see if maybe I had turned V-SYNC on on accident, which i did not. V-SYNC was off but my FPS was all of the sudden capped at 60 and it felt like V-SYNC was on. I changed my game to Fullscreen mode (I was previously on Borderless Windowed) and everything was back to normal. Shortly after I played H1Z1, which was completely fine, I got off and a few hours i got back on my PC and played some more H1Z1, after I got into a game I noticed that my FPS (In my opinion) was HORRIBLE. A Solid 30fps. The game was very stuttrey, and horrible. I checked task manager, and my CPU was at about 45% usage, my GPU was at only about 20% usage. What the heck. I went into nVidia control panel and changed my global settings to optimize performance instead of power. This didn't change anything. After hours of trial and error, Defragging my HDD, Removing my overclock, Changing my drive off of Read Only, Reinstalling, Verifying Game Cache, Moving the game to another drive, I decided to change the game into Fullscreen mode instead of Borderless Windowed. At last my fps was a solid 250. This is a problem for me because I am constantly multitasking, changing songs, streaming, and my main problem is that I have a 1440p monitor, which is duplicated to my elgato to capture my gameplay. Since the elgato only does up to 1080p, when a game is in fullscreen mode, it chooses the highest resolution that the elgato can use, because the games in fullscreen dont know that the elgato can downscale. Due to using fullscreen, This has hendered my 1440p gaming and games are now also fullscreen which reduced productivity, but they are also 1080p. I am looking for some sort of answers, to prevent this in games or maybe even turn it back. I have Clean installed all my drivers i do not think it is that, and all my drivers are up to date so please don't give me the obvious stuff, because ive tried all of that stuff. Im wondering if maybe there is some hidden setting in my BIOS, or maybe in nVidia control panel or GeForce Experience I dont know about to fix this. I am truly lost, and any help would be greatly appreciated, I will be happy to answer any questions.

Soulreaper005

Distinguished
May 11, 2015

So, I went into the to games that I'm having the trouble with. I changed H1Z1 off of the Fullscreen Optimization, which uncapped it from 30, but capped it at 60. I'm fine with it being capped at 60, because it doesn't feel like it has v-sync on. It is just capped and not laggy at all. COD: WWII, I turned off the Fullscreen Optimization, which did not change a thing. I went into the XBOX DVR settings and I have already disabled it. But I saw down at the bottom there is a 60Fps and 30Fps setting for game recordings. I feel like windows might be capping my fullscreen windowed games at 60, for xbox DVR even though xbox DVR is disabled...is there a way around this?

Which Display driver version? 385.41 seems to be the last correctly functioning driver at the moment, while nvidia and microsoft blame each other it seems Fall Creators Update and GeForce drivers are hopelessly broken at this point...40 plus pages on nvidias forum as of last night with idk how many folks having the same issue with borderless windowed...both my laptop (gsync) and desktop (No gsync) both had the latest drivers and had horrible stuttering and frame drops, DDU and clean install of 385.41 fixed each. YMMV

Soulreaper005

Distinguished
May 11, 2015

This did not work, In the end I had to end up going back to the latest driver to use Shadow Play and so that i would stop getting the "Old driver" notification in COD WW2 on PC.