Windows 10 Boot Partition Rebuild/Restore?

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
w10 update failed me. I finally got w10 to boot up but HDD was also bad. Had a fiasco cloning but got it to a ssd. Now the boot partition or boot records seem to be corrupted. I deleted an extra uefi boot option in BIOS but still same thing. I turned off the old.windows that was trying to load in msconfig but still no dice. I did bootrec.exe fixmbr, fixboot, scanos (shows old.windows) and then rebuild mbr. The boot up is random, sometimes it boots and sometime a cursor. and boot up is super slow, not like how an ssd should perform.

idk if its affected by this but i ran sfc /scannow and repairing the dism image does nothing. any ideas?

Solution
update may have failed due to bad hdd, not as well.

So you tried all of this? https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

one thing that might work is remove all drives from PC and start it up. Obviously it won't boot but this might clear the boot options. Then add SSD again and see if it finds it.

Is there a choice in bios called Windows Boot Manager? If so, I can guess why its not finding ssd. The way UEFI boot works is Windows Boot Manager will have a list of drives and the location on each drive of the boot partition. It tracks them using the GUID number of each drive as Identification (GUID = Global Unique ID) and the GUID for the ssd will be different to that of HDD so it isn't even looking for it at...

Colif

Win 11 Master
update may have failed due to bad hdd, not as well.

So you tried all of this? https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

one thing that might work is remove all drives from PC and start it up. Obviously it won't boot but this might clear the boot options. Then add SSD again and see if it finds it.

Is there a choice in bios called Windows Boot Manager? If so, I can guess why its not finding ssd. The way UEFI boot works is Windows Boot Manager will have a list of drives and the location on each drive of the boot partition. It tracks them using the GUID number of each drive as Identification (GUID = Global Unique ID) and the GUID for the ssd will be different to that of HDD so it isn't even looking for it at boot.

In theory, the steps above should reset the Windows Boot Manager and let UEFI see the ssd as the boot device

Solution