Regaining America's Supercomputing Supremacy With The Summit Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
This is kind of like the space race of a previous generation. Not sure what the end goal is here though, there doesn't seem to be a "Moon" to reach here, just more and more power.

Joao Ribeiro

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Hmmm, this seems it could improve if AMD's EPYC were to be used as it would allow 4 GPU's per socket easily and still have spare PCIe lanes... Hmmm, would really like to see a comparison between the two solutions as honestly I am not aware of enough tech details about the IBM's Power 9, still, from what I have gathered about EPYC from AMD it should allow for a more compatible (less emulation/translation layers and increased x86 support) and consequently higher performing solution due to better optimized code from the get go, but still I need more data to reach a definite conclusion. I would still place my bet on EPYC at this stage against IBM's Power 9, which I must say I praise (in part due to it's heritage, but against practical results nothing competes)

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

..one downside of Epyc, it doesn't support full NVLink, only x86 so it would use the narrower PCIe pipeline. between the CPU and GPUs. Only the IBM Power 8 and 9 series CPUs are capable of full NVLink.

Status
Not open for further replies.