Running 2 monitors and a tv

cletus_2

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi all

I have a nvidia 1080 gpu . I am currently running a 47 inch lcd tv as a main screen in the center of my desk at 1920x1080 . I have 2 23 inch monitors that i would like to setup to each side of the tv left and right side. Is it possible to set these up for surround and if so what would be the best resolution for this ?

Im guessing it would be better to just get another monitor for the middle and scrap the tv. Not what i want to do but.

None of these are 4 k so im looking for just 1080p

Thank you

Solution
So your game does seem to support nvidia surround.

3x4k monitors wont work for your setup. That is not 5760x1080 but 11520x2160.
No single GPU out there supports 3x 4k monitors for actually gaming on.
Assuming the game even supports it, the only way to make that work is with 2 GTX 1080ti graphics cards in SLI.

For this game specifically, lower end monitors with slower refresh rates should still be fine. But for any fast motion game with high fps you will want the higher end monitors.
So first and foremost the TV is great for a movie display but terrible as a gaming monitor.
Low PPI and terrible refresh rate will perform very poorly for fast pace shooter games and anything with high FPS.

In general, 3 monitors to provide gaming surround is doable with a 1080p resolution on all 3, although you may some reduced fps.
If your card was a 1080 ti then you would be able to run 3 monitors for gaming with little to no fps drop.

With just 1 monitor gaming and the other 2 for regular use you will be 100% fine.

cletus_2

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017

So I would be better off to just go with a third monitor then ? What would be the best resolution or this to work ? Nvidia surround suggests 5760x1080

Yes 5760 is 3 monitors wide (1920x3) by the pixel height of 1 monitor (1080).

Not that many games will truly support the surround mode, and you will want 3 fast refresh gaming monitors for this.
Gaming on one high quality 1440p moitor is better then gaming on 3 lower end, slow refresh monitors.

cletus_2

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017

I mainly want to use this setup for American truck simulator for the in cab view it seems to be working allright.

So if went with just another 23 inch monitor and set all three up it would probably run smoother? Or I guess get 3 x 4k monitors for the ultimate solution?

Thanks for the help

So your game does seem to support nvidia surround.

3x4k monitors wont work for your setup. That is not 5760x1080 but 11520x2160.
No single GPU out there supports 3x 4k monitors for actually gaming on.
Assuming the game even supports it, the only way to make that work is with 2 GTX 1080ti graphics cards in SLI.

For this game specifically, lower end monitors with slower refresh rates should still be fine. But for any fast motion game with high fps you will want the higher end monitors.

Solution

cletus_2

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017

Ok I thank you for your advice . Yes it works in the game with the tv in the center and the 2 x 23 inch monitors on each side. Obviously the screens don't fully match up as the tv screen is much bigger. I will leave it as is for now as I am still able to run the game at 33 to 32 fps . Down the road I will get rid of the tv and replace it with another monitor and run 3. Thanks again for your help.